Working in Aberdeen - Where should I live?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Working in Aberdeen - Where should I live?

Hi there,

I got a job teaching at a school in Aberdeen and my husband and I are planning on where to live. He works remotely so he can live anywhere. Ideally, we would live somewhere a bit less crowded and not super expensive (if both are possible). We're only looking for a 1 bedroom, we're 29-years-old and we're pretty minimalistic. We live in a neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY that is not terribly posh or crowded (for Brooklyn) and we're quite content here.

I've read and heard great things about Lamma (the natural beauty, very bike friendly, lots of hiking, less crowded, lower rents), but I'm worried about the commute being too long to Aberdeen. It's a little over an hour and I have to go based on the ferry schedule. I've seen a few different links to ferry schedules. If anyone has a link to an accurate one, feel free to send it my way. I've also heard good things about Happy Valley as well.

Any recommendations or clarifications would be welcome.

Thanks!

Budget?

There is a fair bit available close to Aberdeen, but the budgets vary a lot. Yes, you can do the Lamma commute - but the summer (which extends well beyond summer holidays) / rainy day commute will wear you down.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Lamma to Aberdeen by ferry is about 35 minutes I thought. But it's not like a bus. Another one isn't coming along in a few minutes. So if you miss it, you'll have a fair wait and may end up late for work. Also, what happens when there is a typhoon and the ferries stop running? Will you have time to get the last ferry home? One good thing is that there are now a hotel or two at Wong Chuk Hang.

First step, assign a budget.

Rent would ideally be $3000 USD or less (less than HKD 24,000)

Last edited by JeanMarie87; 30-03-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Yeah, the timing is a concern. My job is about a 30 minute commute from the Aberdeen ferry and I'm thinking the timing would just be too difficult - though it does look pretty.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Where will you be working then? (Something closer may be better.)

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 30-03-2016 at 11:27 AM.

On Nam Long Shan Road in the southeast section of Aberdeen.

why not ap lei chau ?

or if you don't mind waiting until the end of the year for the new mtr station in aberdeen ( south island island, journey will be less than 20 minutes once this ) and don't mind a commute of 50 minutes for time being ha feng chuen, tai koo, etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Island_Line

+1 for Ap Lei Chau.

Kennedy Town is up and coming, and has a good number of western restaurants, bars, etc. There are mini buses that run to Aberdeen fairly frequently from KT, and along route, you'll pass Pok Fu Lam and Cyberport,which are also good candidates.

Another consideration might be getting a small place in Shek O, which is a bit like the Sai Kung of HK Island, or the closest thing to it. As this village is very anti developer, there aren't any real estate agents in Shek O proper, you need to go to Lu Lu's cafe opposite the mouth of the main ( beach ) public car park and speak to Lu Lu, who will have a list of what is available for rent in the area.

But to be honest, Ap Lei Chau & Aberdeen sound pretty sensible to me, plus they're close to Repulse Bay, Tai Tam, Stanley, Big Wave Bay & Shek O for weekend fun in the sun.

Last edited by Skyhook; 30-03-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast