Like Tree14Likes

Staying in Sham Shui Po

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Staying in Sham Shui Po

Hi All,

I wanted to know if sham shui po is a safe region to stay. I heard that it is a poor area but the prices for flats are of really good deal. Is it safe to walk at night? Like 8 - 9 pm?

Thanks for your response.

Sham Shui Po is as safe as any other place in Hong Kong. I lived there for a few years, and I know other foreigners and locals that do.

Funny that local friends of some of my European visitors told them SSP is one of the most dangerous places in Hong Kong. LOL.

I guess urban legends never die.

Last edited by 100LL; 17-05-2016 at 07:23 PM.
    jmbf and bdw like this.

Same for me. A friend of mine told me that there are robbers at night there...

Thanks 100LL.

I often worked till midnight or later, and walked home through the streets of SSP. No difference to anywhere else in Hong Kong and never did I feel in danger. Sham Shui Po is pretty much alive (with many stores and restaurants open) until midnight...

PS: As for trusting what locals say - the local wife of a former colleague told him to never ever to go into the woods or follow the hiking paths in HK - too many illegal immigrants in the woods ready to take him out I've been hiking for a decade and so have others. Needless to say it's utter nonsense.

Last edited by 100LL; 17-05-2016 at 07:31 PM.
    Nitish, emx, jmbf and 2 others like this.

I remember when locals would not even walk in front of Chungking Mansions, let alone go inside it!

OP - SSP has a number of advantages. Rent is a little cheaper, partly because of its reputation. It also cheaper for buying groceries and other things - and there are more 'normal' shops that you use on a daily basis. And, the restaurants there are pretty good.

Nitish likes this.

I'm in SSP a lot

It's perfectly safe just use your due diligence like you would anywhere in the world.

Nitish likes this.

Gritty and noisy but perfectly safe.

Nitish likes this.

I'd be more concerned about roadside pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by nagernager:
    I'd be more concerned about roadside pollution.
    Roadside pollution is everywhere in HK though

super safe, like everywhere in hk.
    if you're not into fabrics, buttons, zippers, etc., you're not going to be taking advantage of everything ssp has to offer. but that's fine. biggest risk at 8-9 pm is having to walk too slowly due to all the other pedestrians.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast