Like Tree49Likes

Questions regarding moving a dog from US To Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yes, I don't think it is temp problem on the plane, it's when the dog has landed. When hubby got to the cargo area the dog was clearly distressed, a combination of the sudden heat and the trip. Ours found it very stressful for the 1st few weeks, and still has his own personal fan at night near his bed with aircon on timer.

shri, Fiona in HKG, huja and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I was under the assumption that pets specifically travelled in temp controlled areas of the cargo on CX and crew ensure that this is done. (This is what I've been told by a CX pilot / wife we know.)

Their website also indicates this "Your pet will be loaded into the cargo bulk compartment of the aircraft. Flight crew will make arrangements for suitable temperature and ventilation in the cargo compartment."

After all of this, is temp still an issue or this an airline specific problem?
    I believe the onboard conditions are fine for animals, what you have to be aware of is the temps in the transport process to/from the aircraft. I remember leaving HK in 1999 (thankfully temporarily) in August with two cats and the flight was delayed. They had the poor things loaded on a trolley sitting in the sun by the aircraft for over an hour while I went ballistic and demanded they be taken into a cooler spot (ended up bringing them into the terminal waiting lounge until we were boarding). There can be long times they are out in the open in their crate, on a trolley waiting for boarding, etc. The cargo areas in airports aren't climate controlled to a large extent and that is where the problems will be, not so much on the aircraft itself.

Update kimwy66 you beat me to it!
    kimwy66, shri, huja and 1 others like this.

Once the dog is offloaded, he is in a cargo area. The service we used f*cked up and there was no one to collect my dog. He sat in some hot warehouse for six more hours than necessary. There is also the matter of loading the dog on the plane. He could sit on the tarmac, in the sun for some time before even being loading up for a 15 hour flight. Best to plan for the worst-case scenario and hope for the best. Stakes are too high to assume things will go without a hitch.

Fiona in HKG and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Once the dog is offloaded, he is in a cargo area. The service we used f*cked up and there was no one to collect my dog. He sat in some hot warehouse for six more hours than necessary. There is also the matter of loading the dog on the plane. He could sit on the tarmac, in the sun for some time before even being loading up for a 15 hour flight. Best to plan for the worst-case scenario and hope for the best. Stakes are too high to assume things will go without a hitch.
    That's horrendous huja! George was at the airport for their arrival and personally drove my cat and dog home to me to hand them over, even though this all happened very late at night.
    shri and huja like this.

I had a friend import their dog themselves. They didn't use an agency. They said the biggest problem was no one knew (airline staff) where to pick up the dog upon arrival (the good ole HK "I don't know") but everything else was OK. Picked up dog same day.

Domestic US flights you can bring the dog on the plane. International anywhere you can not! Cargo is not an enjoyable experience for pets and it is loud. Food and water spills out on take off and landing and they need to go to toilet in their crate, so even my dogs wouldn't be happy if they pee at home, could you imagine in a scary loud and I imagine dark place too only to arrive in HK welcomed by the crazies here and thrown around.

But they get over it. We all do

Fiona in HKG and kimwy66 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I had a friend import their dog themselves. They didn't use an agency. They said the biggest problem was no one knew (airline staff) where to pick up the dog upon arrival (the good ole HK "I don't know") but everything else was OK. Picked up dog same day.

Domestic US flights you can bring the dog on the plane. International anywhere you can not! Cargo is not an enjoyable experience for pets and it is loud. Food and water spills out on take off and landing and they need to go to toilet in their crate, so even my dogs wouldn't be happy if they pee at home, could you imagine in a scary loud and I imagine dark place too only to arrive in HK welcomed by the crazies here and thrown around.

But they get over it. We all do ������������

*Note to OP, where are you going to stay with a dog. I mean I would think your company puts you up for the first month or so but can you have a dog there?
    Hi. I was hoping to find an apartment before we got there, but it would still be the issue of art least a few days in a hotel. My original plan had been to send for her after we got there and settled, but then someone said we could take her on board. Really at this point she may have to wait because of the best. My pup is very prissy. I think she'd handle the flight fine. I'm just not sure about the rest of it.

Thank you all of you for all the help. I can't wait until I can be of help to others.

I think I may have to wait on bringing her, but then I will need to find someone who can pick her up (company I mean).

You all are fantastic. =]
    Fiona in HKG and kimwy66 like this.

Good point about the crate as a toilet. After 15 hours in it our dog stank so badly the van guy had to leave the windows open for the 40 minute trip. Not the best way to arrive at your new flat! We organised a van to take the dog & hubby from the airport to our flat, but he is a large Setter. Being only 2 at the time he was still in silly Setter mode and would have been a nightmare in a taxi.

That would be terrible for the pup. She's so dainty. I'm pretty sure she would find it all very distasteful. But she's also a dog and will do what dogs do. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    That's horrendous huja! George was at the airport for their arrival and personally drove my cat and dog home to me to hand them over, even though this all happened very late at night.
    When the service rep finally arrived at the cargo area (about a half hour after I did), it's the closet I've come to striking someone as an adult.
    Fiona in HKG and MandM! like this.

It's ok, go psycho on them and yell!

To OP, I would recommend that you SEE the flat before you choose. Homes that photo well usually have some problem, in my experience. And homes that are great don't always photo well. You never know when there is a building being built next door, and the sound of jackhammers. Oh you'll love them.

Welcome to HK!

chingleutsch and Fiona in HKG like this.