Like Tree49Likes

Questions regarding moving a dog from US To Hong Kong

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Questions regarding moving a dog from US To Hong Kong

I have a 14 lb 5 year old Cavalier King Charles. I have been researching getting her to Hong Kong. In the beginning, it seemed she would have to go as cargo. Now I have been told she can board the plane with us. My questions are two.
    Which way does she travel?
    How do I acquire the special permit when they require the money to come from a bank in Hong Kong?

How did everyone else do this?

Thanks so much!!!
    Kelly

When you say "they require the money" who do you mean?

NoDayButToday likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    When you say "they require the money" who do you mean?
    AFCD, They require international payment to be by bankers draft drawn from a local bank. Cos it's super duper easy for foreign people to do that. /sarcasm

When we did it, we already had a HK bank account. If you are using an import agency they might do it?

Also, it was my understanding that dogs are not allowed to carried in the passenger area and must be in the hold when coming to Hong Kong? Maybe it has changed since we did it.

Thats what I thought. Was going to lead to a pet relo company. Have seen some questions earlier of people asking if someone could pay on their behalf.

OP I have PM'd you

Can you PM me too or share on here? This is one of those FAQs and I'd rather have a reco from a trusted user than some drive by spam from a relo co.

Having checked, it is still the case that live animals must be shipped as cargo when entering HK. IATA - Hong Kong (SAR China) Customs, Currency & Airport Tax regulations details.

They have a reception area in the cargo part of the airport. Took us a couple of hours from getting to the cargo place to driving off with him.

When we did it, I used a pet relocation company who were a complete waste of time and money. They only did the UK part, and managed to mess that up badly. We did all the HK end. I have heard good things about one of the companies here though.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Having checked, it is still the case that live animals must be shipped as cargo when entering HK. IATA - Hong Kong (SAR China) Customs, Currency & Airport Tax regulations details.

They have a reception area in the cargo part of the airport. Took us a couple of hours from getting to the cargo place to driving off with him.

When we did it, I used a pet relocation company who were a complete waste of time and money. They only did the UK part, and managed to mess that up badly. We did all the HK end. I have heard good things about one of the companies here though.
    I think what you can do is arrange to be on the same flight. Still loaded as cargo though but I think it also ends up excess baggage rate or something. Been so long since I did it

My personal recommendation is George Yung at International Pet Travel. Although only dealing with the import side of my furry family travelling from the Canary Islands through London to HK, due to a totally idiotic exporter at the other end, George had to intervene when my dog was trapped in London and unable to board due to incorrect kennel size. He was a godsend to me - and all this happened in the early hours of the morning local time here !

International Pet Travel - Export Services

Update: Oh and the export agent also wanted to 'land' my pets as they were transferring from Gatwick to Heathrow. To have done so would have meant they would have been stuck in the UK for six months as HK requires a six-month residence in location being shipped out of, before coming to HK. They were instead, with George's expert advice as events were unfolding, kept in quarantine bond for the transfer. George also managed to get in touch with the animal section at Heathrow and arranged for a new, larger kennel so that they could get on the CX flight, at no additional cost to cover the new kennel and no additional weight/size fees.
    Last edited by Fiona in HKG; 16-06-2016 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Updated information

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    AFCD, They require international payment to be by bankers draft drawn from a local bank. Cos it's super duper easy for foreign people to do that. /sarcasm

When we did it, we already had a HK bank account. If you are using an import agency they might do it?

Also, it was my understanding that dogs are not allowed to carried in the passenger area and must be in the hold when coming to Hong Kong? Maybe it has changed since we did it.

The hold thing was my understanding as well. Everything I read is conflicting. Other than the special permit paid out of a local bank.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

You will also need to consider where you want to live, as some buildings may not be pet friendly and some landlords won't allow pets at all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast