Like Tree161Likes

Should I really move back to HK? It's so lonely, no?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Why is it "crap"?
    Value judgment, just like LKF being fun, or HK being boring ...

A lot of the advice I would give has already been given, so will just tell a bit of my own HK story (even though it dates back to when the most exciting thing happening around LKF was Jimmy's Kitchen).

For my first months here, I didn't use all my rather generous housing allowance, but followed the advice of an even older-timer and stayed in a respectable hostel (Caritas-run for what it's worth), got to know quite a broad cross section of the community, from local junior professionals, local and overseas students and interns, unmarried women of considerable age, etc., went out with them, started learning Cantonese, and learned a whole heap more about local culture and mores than many expats learn in 10 years here.

After 6 months, I knew exactly what kind of flat I was looking for and in which area, found it (still not using all the housing allowance), and already had a wide variety of friends outside of work. I met more people, got involved in some voluntary work, and met even more people who introduced me to even more places, hobbies and people.

And I'm an introvert; nothing I like better after a hike, boat trip, meal, history walk, etc. with others than to retreat my room with the cat and some music.
    huja, rickyross and z754103 like this.

I moved to HK at the age of 32, single and moved to my village in Shatin. I partied hard for almost a year, out drinking in LKF/Soho 6 days a week until the early hours.

By chance I joined a charity walk in China, raising money to build schools in rural china, met a girl, got married, had a kid and so on.

Why is it "crap"?
    Expensive - waste of money; waste of time. Bad for ones health. And as I never really liked the taste of alcohol, nor smokey environments, nor loud music I struggle to figure out why anyone else would!
    chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Expensive - waste of money; waste of time. Bad for ones health. And as I never really liked the taste of alcohol, nor smokey environments, nor loud music I struggle to figure out why anyone else would!
    The chicks (:-))

You're 26 single and female! You should be enjoying and loving life and not be thinking about being lonely, that's messed up! The mid 20s to mid 30s is the best time of your life, you can get drunk and get laid as much as you want without worrying about other people and you have disposable income. If you don't live now you will regret it once you hit late 30s and you have kids and going through a divorce and hit the glass ceiling in a job you hate and your parents getting older and older and more hard work. Life will be shit for you later... So you should definitely work in as many places as you can around the world before life takes a turn for the worst. And I promise you now, it definitely will! Enjoy and I hope you move back to hk and live your life.

itsdawn likes this.

Has meeting people in, Hong Kong, ever been a problem ? If anything it's a little too easy in my opinion, like shooting fish in a barrel, so it was never much of a challenge from my perspective. after the first couple of years it becomes a tad predictable...

The thing I think, Tamsin, is trying to explain, and I 100% agree with her, is that friendships in Hong Kong are mostly, associations and in most cases, lack any real depth or substance. Lots of phishing and title/position sizing, to see who might benefit who ( far too many networkers in this town ) in the future... It's kinda off the dial here, which if you aren't used to it, can be quite in your face the first time you experience the ' 20 ' questions and folks handing name cards at off the clock casual/social gatherings. Tends to suggest that a lot of people here, don't know how to, not talk shop.

Western raised expat women of any ethnicity, have a a much more difficult time than their male counterparts, from the many conversations I've had with my female friends about this topic. Hong Kong is very much a relationship graveyard and yes, quite lonely because you don't get much if anything meaningful from the experience.

I also agree about the heavy drinking culture that goes on, that was a huge eye opener for me, when I first. It still fascinates me to a degree.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth

Last edited by Skyhook; 19-10-2016 at 02:57 PM.
    Tamsin89, jimbo, kimwy66 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NAMBLA:
    If you don't live now you will regret it once you hit late 30s and you have kids and going through a divorce and hit the glass ceiling in a job you hate and your parents getting older and older and more hard work. Life will be shit for you later... So you should definitely work in as many places as you can around the world before life takes a turn for the worst
    I am assuming you are late 30ies lol
    DirtyHairy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I also agree about the heavy drinking culture that goes on, that was a huge eye opener for me, when I first. It still fascinates me to a degree.
    Have been meaning to ask many times about this, since you bring it up pretty much all the times. Except LKF and Wanchai (filled w tourist and mostly new ppl to HK and some hard party people) where is this hard drinking culture? And if you go out in those area...isn't it the aim? to have drinks? You don't got LKF to play majhong ...

I don't see LKF or wanchai any different than any other areas in big cities where people go out and drink. Hell Brits Australians etc etc drink shit load more than locals.

Have been meaning to ask many times about this, since you bring it up pretty much all the times. Except LKF and Wanchai (filled w tourist and mostly new ppl to HK and some hard party people) where is this hard drinking culture? And if you go out in those area...isn't it the aim? to have drinks? You don't got LKF to play majhong ...

I don't see LKF or wanchai any different than any other areas in big cities where people go out and drink. Hell Brits Australians etc etc drink shit load more than locals.
    I go to Wanchai to do pub quizzes and (occasionally) play backgammon - does normally (but not necessarily) involve a drink or two, but it's not exactly debauched partying...
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NAMBLA:
    You're 26 single and female! You should be enjoying and loving life and not be thinking about being lonely, that's messed up! The mid 20s to mid 30s is the best time of your life, you can get drunk and get laid as much as you want without worrying about other people and you have disposable income. If you don't live now you will regret it once you hit late 30s and you have kids and going through a divorce and hit the glass ceiling in a job you hate and your parents getting older and older and more hard work. Life will be shit for you later... So you should definitely work in as many places as you can around the world before life takes a turn for the worst. And I promise you now, it definitely will! Enjoy and I hope you move back to hk and live your life.
    Or not. Not everyone makes poor relationship and career choices and then regrets them. I'm far happier now than I was when I was younger.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast