Like Tree161Likes

Should I really move back to HK? It's so lonely, no?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Seems like almost everyone trying to convince her to come back? (to fight for her right to paaaaartay!)

BUT, I seriously doubt that's the life OP is looking for when she's talking about getting settled and having kids.
    what's wrong about home, where you have all your friends n family around you already?

imparanoic likes this.

If its a good job and great for your career, just Do It. Yes, the dating scene in Hong Kong is a bit messed up. Everyone in their 20s work and party hard. From my group of friends, half of them met their husbands here whilst the others at the next place their jobs took them. A couple even decided to stay single and adopt. This all happened in our 30s.

In our 20s we all just enjoyed HK and what it had to offer.

In retrospect, I now understand why OP has labeled the community as "hedonistic" - the advice in this thread is to party your 20s away when you're not at work and to get laid "as much as you want" and apparently it'll be the best time of your life as well. And if you don't agree you need to "loosen up" and have some fun.

Remind me never to ask Geo for life advice.

Like most people, I partied hard in my late teens and twenties...I don't do regrets, but I can say that those times offered very little value to my life...it's pretty much 'rinse and repeat'... I backpacked around the world and my memories of some countries seem like a blur of alcohol/clubbing with a bit of sightseeing thrown in, token sightseeing...I could have made much more of those experiences...I burned through many relationships too...I don't just mean with women...I mean friends, women and men...

I'm in my forties now, married with two kids and life is great. One thing I do lack is time...I had an abundance of time in my twenties...it could have been better spent...more study, more travel, more sport, maybe more introspection...I always had to be out and in the centre, you know, 'look at me banging my drum!'...I need that a lot less now, that's for sure...

These days I advocate a life of sobriety...that's not for everyone and not everyone needs it...but, try to find activities that don't involve bars and clubs...try something new every month...meetup.com could give you some ideas...I actually believe HK is a great place to live if you're not into the bar/clubbing scene...it's not a big drinking culture...HK is the first place I ever went to a BBQ where there was no alcohol...and that's not because it wasn't allowed or might be frowned upon...it just doesn't occur to many people here...

Anyway...regarding feeling lonely...when I quit drinking something I noticed was that I really didn't have that much in common with my drinking pals...maybe that has something to do with it? Anyway...good luck, whatever your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    In retrospect, I now understand why OP has labeled the community as "hedonistic" - the advice in this thread is to party your 20s away when you're not at work and to get laid "as much as you want" and apparently it'll be the best time of your life as well. And if you don't agree you need to "loosen up" and have some fun.

Remind me never to ask Geo for life advice.
    If you need to be reminded about this then you have an even more serious issue concerning your brain!

@DirtyHairy

Then why not go back even further and say you could have done more when you were 10 years old? Instead of playing games you could have studied or read more but you didn't. You do those things at those ages because that's what's meant to be done at those ages. And now you are doing what's meant to be done in your 40s. If you didn't do those travelling and shagging in your 20s then maybe you will regret it now due to the mundane life you now have in your 40s.

From graduation to about when you are 32 is the best time you will ever have in your life.... After that is just a slow journey through divorce and death. BTW I'm not married and mid 40s and still living the life I want.

Quote Originally Posted by NAMBLA:
    @DirtyHairy

Then why not go back even further and say you could have done more when you were 10 years old? Instead of playing games you could have studied or read more but you didn't. You do those things at those ages because that's what's meant to be done at those ages. And now you are doing what's meant to be done in your 40s. If you didn't do those travelling and shagging in your 20s then maybe you will regret it now due to the mundane life you now have in your 40s.

From graduation to about when you are 32 is the best time you will ever have in your life.... After that is just a slow journey through divorce and death. BTW I'm not married and mid 40s and still living the life I want.
    Well when I was in my early 20's I railed around Europe and separately spent 6 weeks on a Kibutz - both involved no alcohol but are experiences I still remember. I worked overseas; I met my husband and got married - again no alcohol or partying involved in that. It was a great decade for experiences. You don't HAVE to party in your 20's. You can actually use the time available and do fun stuff without parties or drink! I find it astonishing that anyone would say that's "what people are supposed to do" !!!! Such a totally western perspective. Have you been to any of the universities in HK? There are almost no bars. Almost no drinking. It's not the culture. Partying when young is not ubiquitous.

Yes. It's not much of a surprise I don't want to waste my life away with someone I can't spend the rest of my life with, just because society says I should do so. Thanks for clarifying that it's not a surprise. Well done!

@HK_Katherine

The point is you still did what you enjoy doing in your 20s with not much responsibility and commitment, all these things can come later. For someone to worry about that in their 20s is not very important, is what most people are saying here.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Well when I was in my early 20's I railed around Europe and separately spent 6 weeks on a Kibutz - both involved no alcohol but are experiences I still remember. I worked overseas; I met my husband and got married - again no alcohol or partying involved in that. It was a great decade for experiences. You don't HAVE to party in your 20's. You can actually use the time available and do fun stuff without parties or drink! I find it astonishing that anyone would say that's "what people are supposed to do" !!!! Such a totally western perspective. Have you been to any of the universities in HK? There are almost no bars. Almost no drinking. It's not the culture. Partying when young is not ubiquitous.
    you don't have to party, BUT moshing and crowd surfing can be alternative to boring parties!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3yIm-gXGBo

apparently there is a massive wall of death!!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast