Like Tree161Likes

Should I really move back to HK? It's so lonely, no?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NAMBLA:
    Well if you've never seen it then it can't exist right?!

Off course hk won't be as metropolitan as NYC or London. But if you venture out of Western migrant safe havens like mid levels to YL and the villages surrounding it then there are other nationals mingling with the locals. I was in a hkjc in Kam Tin and there were more indian and Africans than locals.
    How do they mingle? This word fascinates me.

Do the locals speak English out there in the outback.

I'll go check it out one day. Or maybe not.

I lived in Yuen Long for 3 to 4 years.... on Ma Tin road near Yuen Long Park...

The young Nepalese / Pakistani guys used to hang out by the bus terminus, the Pakistani community centre on tai Tong road, wang fat path where they sell mutton, goat, spices etc \you also have your Sek Kong / Kam Tin Africans and Pakistanis, and I have been dealing with those areas for hmmm 2 decades ? I don't remember them being anything more than arms length with you. Business is business etc, but they don't want to be your friend. Which I'm totally cool with.

I have been buying spices and meat in Wang Fat path for many years, I still don't know anyones name.. Quite different to shopping in sai kung where I do know majority of shop keepers/biz owners names.

That's the stark contrast.

Not sure why HK Katherine is speaking on behalf of a community that really wouldn't give her demographic the time of day, nor would they speak on her behalf....

but that's o.k

whatever makes you feel important, I suppose.

Last edited by Skyhook; 21-10-2016 at 05:08 PM.

It's as lonely as you make it here. Been here for 23 months as a software engineer that isn't afraid to talk to people. Living in an expat ghetto and limiting yourself to low-skill and effort, convenience hobbies like drinking will certainly set you up for a particular experience.

From your post, it sounds like you would not thrive here.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    How do they mingle? This word fascinates me.

Do the locals speak English out there in the outback.

I'll go check it out one day. Or maybe not.
    The locals don't speak much English but the economic migrants speak cantonese. Unlike yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I lived in Yuen Long for 3 to 4 years.... on Ma Tin road near Yuen Long Park...

The young Nepalese / Pakistani guys used to hang out by the bus terminus, the Pakistani community centre on tai Tong road, wang fat path where they sell mutton, goat, spices etc \you also have your Sek Kong / Kam Tin Africans and Pakistanis, and I have been dealing with those areas for hmmm 2 decades ? I don't remember them being anything more than arms length with you. Business is business etc, but they don't want to be your friend. Which I'm totally cool with.

I have been buying spices and meat in Wang Fat path for many years, I still don't know anyones name.. Quite different to shopping in sai kung where I do know majority of shop keepers/biz owners names.

That's the stark contrast.

Not sure why HK Katherine is speaking on behalf of a community that really wouldn't give her demographic the time of day, nor would they speak on her behalf....

but that's o.k

whatever makes you feel important, I suppose.
    She wasn't doing that. She was backing up one of my comments and just suggesting maybe there are other non western expat and local communities outside of the Western safe haven of soho and mid levels. The original poster said hk was not diverse. I just pointed out there are other communities in NT and Kowloon, regardless of whether they mingle or not.

In the UK the Indians, Pakistanis and Chinese in Birmingham, West and North London don't mingle either... But it's still diverse.
    z754103 likes this.

Ok, so then I suggest the OP to come here, move to Tin Shui Wai to a public housing estate, learn & speak Cantonese and work at a local dim sum restaurant as dish washer. Problem solved!

Char Siu King and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NAMBLA:
    The locals don't speak much English but the economic migrants speak cantonese. Unlike yourself.
    Amazingly few of the "economic migrants" do speak Canto - and I'm talking about their grandkids, second generation HK born. I'm not saying nobody integrates, but those who do are very much in the minority. Kids still often get sent back to the motherland for their education.
    TheBrit and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Amazingly few of the "economic migrants" do speak Canto - and I'm talking about their grandkids, second generation HK born. I'm not saying nobody integrates, but those who do are very much in the minority. Kids still often get sent back to the motherland for their education.
    I always wonder how is it possible not to speak the language if you were born in HK and have lived here your whole life. Don't children pick up languages easily :s

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I never did that crap even when I was young. Neither did my husband. People are different!
    Same here. I was too busy working my butt off to fund my next trip! Also, at 25 I was engaged ( to an absolute cad) and unengaged by the age of 26. Then met a 'nice" boy, from Essex who strung me along and whom I dragged around Scotland and half of Europe before he dumped me 2 yrs later for an old school friend who contacted him of Friends Reunited, and I discovered LIFE! No, alcohol didn't even come into it vaguely except that the men ( boys is a better description) I were involved with thought that keeping up in the booze skolling stakes and that drugs made everything seem normal ( when their behaviour wasn't) made me realise that there is another life that is better and doesn't have to involve such. Yep, I had fun too, really fun. Met some weird and eccentric people on my travels but it didn't have to involve booze and drugs. Nothing wrong with being on your own except in some cultures, like here where they all have to be in a group, no matter if you know or like or dislike the people, then spend the entire evening on your iPhones....

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Then met a 'nice" boy, from Essex who strung me along and whom I dragged around Scotland and half of Europe before he dumped me 2 yrs later for an old school friend who contacted him of Friends Reunited, and I discovered LIFE! ....
    Friends Reunited lol. Fxxk we are that old now.
    shri likes this.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast