totally clueless!

totally clueless!

Please excuse my ignorance for all this but even with searching the internet I have to ask you guys some questions please.

We are applying for a job in the NT Fanling area. We have 2 young kids and currently live on a small island in the west indies. I have no idea of this area and Wiki doesnt give me much info so can I ask if there are estates with houses and gardens and pools or just high rises? if you were to compare Fanlings size to some town in the UK what would it be?

how good is the schooling in the area? Is it a nice area for families?

Is the NT a distincly different part of Hong Kong away from the city or is it built up also?

thanks for your help if you can do.

Fanling is up near the shenzhen border

Lot of high rises there but also a lot of village houses too which might be more to your liking, To get an idea of what the area is like do a google map search of Fanling.

NT is built up in some places but of course green space is a lot more accessible than say kowloon or hk island side.

If you prefer your luxuries such as certain types of western foods then I'd suggest you live nearer towards Sha Tin on the KCR as its a lot more 'westernised' than Fanling would ever hope to be.

cmlg

Hi Islandmum,

I lived in a small village in Sha Tau Kok, Fanling two years ago. It was a village near the border. 10 minutes by bus to China.

I think not many jobs can be found in Fanling area except tutoring eg teach English...

Meanwhile, compare with other places in NT e.g. Shatin, Tsuen Wan, Tung Wan salary rate are cheaper in Fanling. Of course, living standard in Fanling is lower when compared with Shatin.

You cannot find beaches, there, you can only find crowded village houses and mountains.

One terribly thing is traffic, if you live near your workplace, it will be fine. If you live in a village house, then you must drive your car or ride your own bike.

If your office is in Fanling centre near Fanling KCR station, then you better find a flat in Fanling centre. Rental around HK$6000 for 700 sq ft. Maybe cheaper but you must gargain with the owner.

Meanwhile, no many people living in Fanling can communicate in English. You better learn a little Chinese or Mandarin.

I'm not sure how big your UK home is, but for sure no big garden for your kids.

There are some places in NT you can find nice sea view e.g. Sai Kung, Tung Chung...

I hope you can find these information helpful.

Cheer

Last edited by cmlg; 05-11-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Fanling is up near the shenzhen border

Lot of high rises there but also a lot of village houses too which might be more to your liking, To get an idea of what the area is like do a google map search of Fanling.

NT is built up in some places but of course green space is a lot more accessible than say kowloon or hk island side.

If you prefer your luxuries such as certain types of western foods then I'd suggest you live nearer towards Sha Tin on the KCR as its a lot more 'westernised' than Fanling would ever hope to be.
    thanks for both your replies. Now I see from the map I have more of an idea of location and distances. So if I gave you an area anywere down as far south as Kowloon, east or west, as long as it was near a highwy to Fanling and no ferries to get on where would you suggest where we could get:

good international schooling
    house with garden and pool (we have dogs)
    expat community
    access to the beach possibly?
    westernised foods and shopping.

Thanks very much again guys, I hope you can help a clueless woman!!

Quote Originally Posted by islandmum
    good international schooling
    house with garden and pool (we have dogs)
    expat community
    access to the beach possibly?
    westernised foods and shopping.

Thanks very much again guys, I hope you can help a clueless woman!!
    Your best choice would be Hong Lok Yuen. they have an international school see link below.

Hong Lok Yuen International School of The New Territories, Hong Kong

Close to Faniling. It also has a country club that you can join.

Hong Lok Yuen Country Club Hong Kong

Some houses comes with a private pool. If not there is a communal pool. 3500 sq/ft is renting for about 98K HKD.

Best to go there and check out the agents or try this agent.

Property Agency in Hong Kong - Midland Realty

http: //maps.google.com/ and search Hong Lok Yuen, Hong Kong.

No beaches close by to actually swim in, there is Plover cove which is a reservoir, good for going on long walks or you can hire bicycles there as well. BBQ.

you might need to get a car and drive to either Sai Kung or past Ma On Shan to go for actual beaches.

G'day Islandmum,

If you like living near water, being very handy distance to beaches, weekend island hopping, sailing, all set amongst a very active expat/local community, then Sai Kung is going to be a very easy location to live.. A large percentage of long term expat families, especially Aussie, British & Sth Africans are the dominant kin, but I am sure that's changed a bit since we lived there.

Your children and dogs will love it, housing is quite big, especially now that rents are dropping lately, you could live very comfortably in Costa Bello for example. You'll get a 3 bedroom, water front, court yarded 1450ft2 villa there, with oven equipped kitchen, an onsite pool, all 2 minutes walk from Sai Kung town centre, overlooking the Sai kung water front for $30K a month.. They were $35- 38K per month a short while ago, but you should be able to get possibly a sub $30K per month lease deal currently. It's one of my favourite villa groups, and its also one of the newest luxury complexes in Sai Kung, with properly managed security.

This is a photo of Sai kung 10 minutes walk from the centre of Sai Kung town below. To give you a perspective of the low density personality of the area.

Tide out when I took this photo, but I'll hunt around for some photo's with the tide in, but it gives you an idea.

Anybody who says Sai Kung is isolated, is a wombat in my opinion, and has definitely never lived in the area. People that live in Sai Kung like to do dinner parties at home, they have living space big enough to entertain at home, and basically do normal ( couple ) stuff that most of us who owned proper houses in the home land did, prior to moving to Hong Kong...

Not everybody wants to live in a high rise box, thankfully HK's NT still offers some visually interesting spaces, not to mention abundant native fauna, and flora.

I highly recommend that aspect to any family, you owe it to yourself to look at the Sai Kung district in greater detail, I can assure you, you wont regret living there, and you'll make friends very easily, in one of HK's coolest communities ( in my opinion ), a totally different expat community feel, one that has gone against the city slicker grain, shunned the concrete jungle so to speak, with an emphasis of as close to back home lifestyle based living, as is possible in HK, without having to spend ridiculous amounts of money in rent each month.

You'll discover that a large percentage love the area so much, they actually own their homes in Sai Kung, its one of the highest concentrations of expat owner occupied property in the HKSAR. Discovery Bay would be another area that I can think of that has the same rate of expat property ownership....

If you need a property agent, just give me a pm, and i will put you in contact with our Sai Kung agent, who has always been professional and helpful.

Good luck

BTW: Providing you purchase a sensible car, Fanling is a very brisk and easy/enjoyable 20 minute drive away. Don't waste your spare time on public buses, its just not worth the hassle, when it's monsoonal, you will reflect on this post, thinking how much easy life is with a car, 2 kids and 2 dogs lol

You can probably tell that we are very fond of the Sai Kung district, and the many friends we made there over the years, if only it was 20 minutes from the airport by car, instead of 45 - 60 minutes.

Photo gallery > Sai Kung - Flickr ?????
    Last edited by Skyhook; 07-11-2008 at 11:09 PM.