Like Tree87Likes

Moving to HK- Cost of living ...

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Gold Coast

As stated, GC resident's shuttle goes directly to Olympic.

There are number of English medium Kindergartens around the neighbourhood, like Jing Jing. It has also a school bus to ESF KG in Tsing Yi.

The only international school in the area is Harrow, but there are school busses at least to Japanese International, ICHK HLY and Beacon Hill (ESF) which are all great primaries. There seems to be a few more school busses, but am not sure to which schools.

We live in GC and love the place. Especially with small kids, due to all green areas within compound and around. The shopping mall has number of restaurants, which makes it easy to pop in for dinner with small kids. Facilities in GC are fine, with big swimming pool. Lot of families with small kids, so the social circles form pretty quick.

Tung Chung, nothing bad to say about it. Different to GC, but has its positive sides as well.

hi everyone here,
    I am moving to hongkong within a week .my wife and my son are in hongkong already.
    Q.1:
    I would like to know that do I have to pay school fee for my son?
    b/c once I have lived in UK ,& education is free in uk for 10 years.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Basically, if your child goes to a local government school, which will follow the Hong Kong curriculum, then there are no school fees. You'll have to find one that is an English-medium one, rather than a Chinese-medium one though, unless your child speaks Cantonese.

If you choose to send your child to an international school, then generally speaking there are big fees and debentures - and waiting lists, but your child will follow a non-Hong Kong curriculum.

(This is the simplified version.)

Edit: The government here provides 12 years of free education.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 25-01-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes. Over the years we've had probably 10 people at the office relocate due to the whole schooling issue. Some stick it out & pay for international schools but as far as I understand it's quite the financial burden.
    jrkob likes this.

hey jrkob
    my wife lives with her family ,,with father n brother..
    & my son doesnot have school age right now...my son is lessthan 1 year of age..
    I am trying to gather information & have a better planning before going to hongkong..

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

For the best kindergartens, local people puts their child's name down before birth. That's how competitive education can be in Hong Kong.

Original Post Deleted
    I would agree with you .... Except when we moved back to the UK I just assumed school places (State) would be available only to find there were ZERO places left in the whole city even in the failing schools.

hi guys after one week I will start to find job in hongkong,
    can u ,people kindly guide me where should I search a job?

like,some people say we can earn handsome amount in SECURITY JOBS
    some say KFC,mcdonalds etc
    u guys provide me better information .. I would like to have some information so that I shouldnot waste my time ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by javi:
    hi guys after one week I will start to find job in hongkong,
    can u ,people kindly guide me where should I search a job?

like,some people say we can earn handsome amount in SECURITY JOBS
    some say KFC,mcdonalds etc
    u guys provide me better information .. I would like to have some information so that I shouldnot waste my time ahead...
    Do you speak Cantonese?

Are you built like a tank?

You don't say what your skills, experience and qualifications are, so it is hard to be able to assist you. However, based on the jobs you say you are interested in, then I would have thought that since your wife's family already live here, you should see if you can get something via their contacts. A lot of jobs are filled through networking here.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast