Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 813141516
Like Tree87Likes

Moving to HK- Cost of living ...

@Islmvp25 - Thanks for the comments on the other thread.

Care go close this one down - curious about how the speculation/budgets matched reality now that you've been here for a few months.

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    @Islmvp25 - Thanks for the comments on the other thread.

Care go close this one down - curious about how the speculation/budgets matched reality now that you've been here for a few months.
    Of course happy to share. I actually think that whilst the cost of living is indeed high, we have found ways of managing our costs without the need to break the bank and live reasonably well. Some of the advice received beforehand in my view was quite scary and didn’t match the reality but I suppose it all depends on how you choose to live. Financially we are much better here than back in the UK and find that we have more disposable income after all the bills are settled. Once child no.2 starts school it maybe a different picture but by then we will back in the UK!

Example of our current budget now below (Family of 4).

21k housing (3 bed in TC 900sqft net).
    1.5k electricity avg a month
    800 Water & Gas
    150 Internet & sim card with 5gb date and 4000mins for 12 months (Smart tone)
    4k Food (Shopping at wet market for fresh produce and fish, Taste & U select for Tesco products)
    8k Kindergarten (1 child)
    2k other kids activities.
    1k travel expenses
    3k eating out/entertainment/misc
    5k Tax
    20k savings
    4.5k helper
    12K disposable

Quote Originally Posted by Islmvp25
    Of course happy to share. I actually think that whilst the cost of living is indeed high, we have found ways of managing our costs without the need to break the bank and live reasonably well. Some of the advice received beforehand in my view was quite scary and didn’t match the reality but I suppose it all depends on how you choose to live. Financially we are much better here than back in the UK and find that we have more disposable income after all the bills are settled. Once child no.2 starts school it maybe a different picture but by then we will back in the UK!

Example of our current budget now below (Family of 4).

21k housing (3 bed in TC 900sqft net).
    1.5k electricity avg a month
    800 Water & Gas
    150 Internet & sim card with 5gb date and 4000mins for 12 months (Smart tone)
    4k Food (Shopping at wet market for fresh produce and fish, Taste & U select for Tesco products)
    8k Kindergarten (1 child)
    2k other kids activities.
    1k travel expenses
    3k eating out/entertainment/misc
    5k Tax
    20k savings
    4.5k helper
    12K disposable
    The other guy who is -$40K a month should read this.

Anyway, by "travel expenses", do you mean transportation or commuting expenses? Or are you going to up SZ or Macau for travel?

Commuting expenses within HK. MTR, Taxis, Buses

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 813141516