Like Tree87Likes

Moving to HK- Cost of living ...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    $200 is possible Even less if mcd.
    All these comments about cheap food ignore the obvious. Why would anyone want to downgrade their family's lifestyle to come to Hong Kong? If coming to HK means you have to go from a nice outing to a country pub for Sunday lunch to McDs because you can't afford anything better, then stay home and don't drag the family halfway round the world.

If the OP is looking at cash-in-hand of 75k with a family of 4, I wouldn't do the move. However, assuming his wife can earn a decent wedge it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    All these comments about cheap food ignore the obvious. Why would anyone want to downgrade their family's lifestyle to come to Hong Kong? If coming to HK means you have to go from a nice outing to a country pub for Sunday lunch to McDs because you can't afford anything better, then stay home and don't drag the family halfway round the world.

If the OP is looking at cash-in-hand of 75k with a family of 4, I wouldn't do the move. However, assuming his wife can earn a decent wedge it should be fine.
    I think the smiley in @monomono's post indicates a joke. Anyhow, $400 will get you a nice weekday dinner if you don't have time to cook. Some rice, a curry dish, a vegetable dish, an appetizer, etc. At a 75K net salary one doesn't have to stick to $400 meals and can easily afford something nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I think the smiley in @monomono's post indicates a joke. Anyhow, $400 will get you a nice weekday dinner if you don't have time to cook. Some rice, a curry dish, a vegetable dish, an appetizer, etc. At a 75K net salary one doesn't have to stick to $400 meals and can easily afford something nicer.
    For $400 I'd go to M&S and get a few meals, fresh vege, some decent meat, a bottle of wine and not have to put up with crap service, dodgy meat, bad hygiene and over-priced drinks.
    rsndl and z754103 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    In terms of unhealthy food, there's not much in it between typical pub fare and cafe de coral.

If I was in the OP shoes with a 4 year old, I'd be stressing about the primary school more than anything else. Yes you can come here and put them in a kindergarten in the immediate short term, but I think they should be starting primary in August (in 10 months) or latest August 2018 so you'd have to get your act together on that pretty quickly. Kindergartens are generally not too difficult but primary schools are with waiting lists that can stretch for years and you may need to pay an expensive debenture and still be not guaranteed a spot.

It might not be a financial gain in the beginning, but if he can manage to climb up the corporate ladder and his wife joining the workforce, they would be able to have a pretty sweet lifestyle.

Last edited by bargfeldstegen; 12-12-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    civil_servant likes this.

Deleted.

Last edited by civil_servant; 12-12-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    Wow, you're only left with US$ 40000 a year for holidays while being on a single income on top of the 600 pounds/month you get from renting your place. That's terrible. (Sarcasm)

Original Post Deleted
    I come in way lower on utilities but I guess it all depends on Airco settings. I work from home and have two phones and high speed internet (total 1.5K). However my monthly electricity bill never goes over 1K a month, even in summer months it is usually 1.8K for two months. Family of 3, helper, 1.000 Sqft apartment.
    civil_servant likes this.

Let me try with that 75K/mth income.
    25k housing incl. management fee, utilities
    20k for children only school, extra activities e.g. sports, painting, music, etc.
    5k domestic helper incl salary, insurance, tickets
    5k daily foods and drinks (at home)
    5k entertainment e.g. themeparks, movies, eat out, fitness (tight)
    2k transportation fee for all occasions
    2k saving for family travel other than the flying back to UK. (lot of you would like to explore other asian countries as "anyway we are here")
    5k if you need to pay insurance premium?
    2k prepare for any gifts or misc you have to pay
    2k if any shoppings (books, clothes, toys, any other things)

assume your company medical cover all members, otherwise some more cost.

think if there's anything not yet mentioned.

z754103 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast