Like Tree87Likes

Moving to HK- Cost of living ...

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    No, Avignon. I don't think I could do Kowloon. Can you explain how it's less noisy than the airport?
    There are no planes flying by. Horses for courses I guess. I liked the idea of saving rent by living out in the NT, but when I actually tried it I realised it is cheap for a reason. Some people are fine with it, and all power to them. It isn't for everyone though, and I think the prices reflect that.
    civil_servant likes this.

The plan is to come to HK for 2-3 years at most, get some experience, climb the career ladder (this is a promotion) and move back to UK. This is not a long term move at all and we have always wanted to live somewhere- experience different cultures and meet new challenges. OH will be working eventually and as for school fees- I am only worrying for our 4 year old now as by the time the baby is old enough to start school- OH will be working or we will be back in the UK. I appreciate HK is expensive but after doing all the numbers and comparing to current situation- I am still struggling to get my head round some of the comments on how the suggested salary is not enough considering current situation especially as it is c100% increase in net salary from my current situation in the UK? Are things 100% more expensive in HK (apart from rent of course) in HK than in the UK???? ESF schools and some of the international schools I have checked around the TC areas cost about 90k per year- which is around the same we paid for our 4 year old to attend nursery in the UK in GBP (before he turned 4 and qualified for 15 free hours).

As I said in my OP- we are not looking to live the extravagant expat lifestyle- just to experience Asia but also make some sort of savings while we are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    There are no planes flying by. Horses for courses I guess. I liked the idea of saving rent by living out in the NT, but when I actually tried it I realised it is cheap for a reason. Some people are fine with it, and all power to them. It isn't for everyone though, and I think the prices reflect that.
    Absolutely horses for courses. I have friends who started in Kowloon and I convinced them to give the Gold Coast a try. It's been 5 years now and they have no desire of ever living in Kowloon again. I agree though, OPs salary outside the NT would not be sufficient.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Islmvp25:
    The plan is to come to HK for 2-3 years at most, get some experience, climb the career ladder (this is a promotion) and move back to UK. This is not a long term move at all and we have always wanted to live somewhere- experience different cultures and meet new challenges. OH will be working eventually and as for school fees- I am only worrying for our 4 year old now as by the time the baby is old enough to start school- OH will be working or we will be back in the UK. I appreciate HK is expensive but after doing all the numbers and comparing to current situation- I am still struggling to get my head round some of the comments on how the suggested salary is not enough considering current situation especially as it is c100% increase in net salary from my current situation in the UK? Are things 100% more expensive in HK (apart from rent of course) in HK than in the UK???? ESF schools and some of the international schools I have checked around the TC areas cost about 90k per year- which is around the same we paid for our 4 year old to attend nursery in the UK in GBP (before he turned 4 and qualified for 15 free hours).

As I said in my OP- we are not looking to live the extravagant expat lifestyle- just to experience Asia but also make some sort of savings while we are out there.
    Have you come to Hong Kong before? I would highly commend a visit out here - come for a week at least, ten days or more even better. Have a look round some areas, visit Tung Chung, visit the Gold Coast, see some apartments. Try the commutes out on the buses. Have a few meals in different restaurants. You can live here as a family of four on a lot less than you earn, you can spend a lot more too. Only you are able to see if you (and especially your wife) can survive or thrive in the areas you can afford.

Several people on this thread have said they wouldn't move their families on that salary, others have said it is fine. Everyone is right, there is no one common answer for everyone. Only you can decide and a trip over is the best way to do that.....
    hullexile, klan8456 and z754103 like this.

ESF schools and some of the international schools I have checked around the TC areas cost about 90k per year- which is around the same we paid for our 4 year old to attend nursery in the UK in GBP (before he turned 4 and qualified for 15 free hours).
    A few things:

1) ESF is increasingly difficult to get into. It used to be where any English-speaking expat could get accepted but with the removal of government subsidy and more local HKers wanting their kids in international schools, they are really competitive. I am hearing of long term expats who were expecting ESF to be their default school being shocked at not getting places. Meanwhile they are selling "nomination rights" (aka debentures) for priority admissions. Also ESF prioritizes children who attend their preschools (called kindergarten here) and your child has missed the chance to get that as he's already 4.

2) ESF tuition fees are $101K. It's all on their website. Any lower number you have seen is the old fees when there was a government subsidy. That ended this year.

3) If you don't get into ESF, most international (IB/British/US curriculum) schools are $120-200K a year. The cheapest you will find of a reputable international school might be $100K.
    civil_servant likes this.

Does anyone know if Discovery Mind in TC is any good? I've submitted an application form and fees are about 6.5k per month?

Thanks

IMHO you have the right attitude and should be fine. Agree with some of the posters suggesting you should come here, at least for a short holiday, to experience it. I have zero regrets moving to Hong Kong, settled in Park island and honestly feel I am on vacation every time I get home from trips overseas. I chose a place that is quiet to live with great facilities and if i want to experience the crowds I just head out to Central or Kowloon. As long as you keep a down to earth lifestyle you can make it here and heck, as it is only for 2,5 years you can have a fantastic experience. I wish I had moved here ten years earlier myself.
    monomono likes this.

Does anyone know if Discovery Mind in TC is any good? I've submitted an application form and fees are about 6.5k per month?

Thanks
    No idea but having taken a glance - I'd be apprehensive about a new school located in a commercial premises. Seems the DB and TC schools are in retail spaces. There have been many schools that have either jacked up fees due to rent increases or constantly moved locations because landlords here are greedy as hell.

But if you are on Facebook look for the group "Hong Kong Schools" and you can ask a question or search.

There are people on this forum who live in a bubble, which is why they cannot understand how anyone else could a) consider living further than 15 mins from the office b) shop in anything less than a fully stocked "everything flown in" Expat store c) deal with less space etc etc etc.

Or put another way, people who earn a lot of money spend a lot of money and find it hard to imagine how anyone can live on less. Despite the obvious evidence all around the to the contrary.

Come and see for yourself. Only you will know.

Last edited by HK_Katherine; 12-12-2016 at 10:49 PM.

The plan is to come to HK for 2-3 years at most, get some experience, climb the career ladder (this is a promotion) and move back to UK.
    If we turn it around and look at the situation from another angle, what would the implications be for your work / career if you did reject this posting?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast