Like Tree87Likes

Moving to HK- Cost of living ...

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Islmvp25:
    @DeletedUser. Thanks but I've mentioned before that we don't want to take trip over to check as that would be a waste of money. It is a move that we are looking keen to make but just asking to understand our options.
    So you really want to come but don't want to spend an extra trip to have a look first. In that case you may consider to come to start your work without your family at the beginning. You agree with your wife a timeframe, say 2-3 months, for you to settle down and explore the places. Seeing it with your own eyes is better than relying on others' perception and impression.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    It's not a waste of money to visit. Leave the family at home and just come yourself if cost is an issue. Or negotiate a trip from the company. I'd personally never move my family to a place I or my spouse had never seen. We insisted on a go see visit for me (the trailing spouse) before the move and the company bought the ticket.
    I insisted too. I also think its important. And will help you with packing - go and visit shops and supermarket to identify things they don't sell. View areas so you can understand what living would be like. Go and see schools and talk to people. Start the process of opening a bank account so that you have it ready to go when you arrive. There are many things that can be achieved with a short prior visit.

Haven’t posted here for a while but thought I will provide an update. Offer now accepted and the moving date TBC- likely to be in April but planning a pre-visit as suggested perhaps sometime in February (if possible).

Considering living in Tung Chung as work location is in Olympic; thankfully and not in Central!

Are there any other locations worth considering within 20-25 mins away from Olympic within the 20k range for a 3 bed? Main criteria for us is somewhere with a bit of space outdoors, Greenery, MTR station nearby and ideally a new estate/development with facilities.

Thanks once again..

bargfeldstegen likes this.

Slightly off your criteria (missing the MTR station) is Gold Coast Residences in Gold Coast.
    Very good on outdoor space and greenery; also next to a beach and mountains with hiking and mountain biking; not new estate but excellent facilities. They also do (or did, you would need to check) serviced apartments so it may be possible to stay for a month and "check it out" as it were.
    There is a resident bus (i.e. a scheduled, direct, door-to-door bus) to Olympic on the morning (weekdays only; 5 per morning) and back again in the evening (again, 5 buses). Take about 20-25 minutes.

Totally different ambiance to Tung Chung - some people love it (I live in this area); some hate it; worth checking out though for quality of life.

(Just an FYI - MTR not essential. The bus network in general (not just talking about resident buses here) is second to none).

20 to 25 min on bus or MTR , or 20 to 25 min from your sofa to your desk?

HK_Katherine, TheBrit and jmbf like this.

Thanks @HK Katherine. Forgot to add to my criteria kindergarten/ primary schools! Any decent schools around GC area?

20 to 25 on Bus or MTR, and less than 40 mins sofa to desk?

Then I suggest to go for Tung Chung. Should be 40 to 45 min one way. Cannot comment on schools though.

Quote Originally Posted by Islmvp25:

Are there any other locations worth considering within 20-25 mins away from Olympic within the 20k range for a 3 bed? Main criteria for us is somewhere with a bit of space outdoors, Greenery, MTR station nearby and ideally a new estate/development with facilities.

Thanks once again..
    i really like the Tsuen Wan West area. TWW MTR is real quick to Olympic - just one change in Nam Cheong and, frankly, on a nice day you can just walk from Nam Cheong to Olympic, it's not that far. You're close to the mountains but there's also a waterfront that's lively and fun.
    I don't know what the rents are for the newer buildings around there. I stayed in a development called Riviera Gardens, which is old and kinda depressing, though also quite cheap.

Not sure about the school situation there, but you can consider Ma Wan Island ("Park Island"). Not expensive, nice, really nice facilities, and for little kids good opportunities at your door step to experience nature. Can take bus to Tsing Yi then direct mtr.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast