I would like peoples opinions/advice of some matters more specific to our move! We have been to Hong Kong twice before and lived in Shanghai for years.
My fiance and I have been offered jobs in Hong Kong Starting Sep. We would be making together just over 90k a month with a housing allowance of around 19000k.month
Yearly flights and relocation costs are covered. My questions are these:
Is this enough for us to live comfortably AND save considering:
- We cook at lot at home, different recipes from all over so I shop a lot for groceries and buy special ingredients. We LOVE eating out in Hong Kong - local food, street food is our favorite! But we would like to eat out at traditional sit down restaurants too, once a week probably. Also love to get delivery on lazy days! We would also enjoy happy hour once week. We travel ALOT and want to continue to do so (not just in Asia)
- We need a maid once a week
- Would love a dog walker 5 times a week.
- Work is between Mongkok and Kowloon bay areas and we don't want to travel to far. A direct shot on the MTR or bus would be ideal. (I would travel longer if I didn't have to switch trains!) We are willing to pay above our stipend for a decent sized 2 bedroom place.
- We have a small dog (already sorted how it can come in a painlessly as possible) Could anyone recommend a good pet friendlyish neighborhood (with grass/park for the dog, easy to walk/ vets nearby etc) ? Really, his happiness is very important.
- Our dream would to have a view, a balcony even, not with a building right next door and we don't need to be in a fancy high rise. A walk up is totally ok (if big enough and not too old)
- Is our budget going to get us anything? Do we need check our expectations?
- After 9 years in Shanghai, the pollution was just too much! Is Hong Kong really THAT bad? When I look at the readings it seems pretty low compared to Shanghai. Where I am living now reads 76 AQI today.
- We love to walk trails and explore nature, if we lived in Kowloon/HK island would it be a struggle to head there on the weekends both time wise and crowds wise?? Are dogs allowed?
I know people ask these questions all the time, and I have taken the time to read previous posts - all very helpful too!
I really appreciate any of your help and thanks so much in advance!