Like Tree53Likes

What to stock up on?

Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    55

    What to stock up on?

    Our company is paying for our shipping but we just don't have that much to ship!
    We have been living internationally for 13+ years, living in apartments that were furnished and always downsizing when we move, so we don't have furniture only electronics and T.V's, but I've read not to bring those as they wont work!
    So, I figure the best thing to do is to stock up on things that are hard to get/expensive in HK!

    I'm GF so I guess I better stock up on Gluten Free foods especially flours and other specialty items.
    How about wine?

    That still leaves space to fill - What do you wish you brought/stocked up on when you moved???


    (couple, 1 dog no kids, loves cooking)


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    39,681

    A lot of the gluten free / healthy stuff can be bought from iHerb and shipped to HK for free if the order is over a certain amount.

    Stock up on what you really miss and what comforts you - the rest, as you get used to HK, you'll find suitable or better alternatives.

    There are a few "american" super markets like A&M, Gateway here in HK which tend to buy product from costco by the container and resell them here.

    Some helpful threads:

    https://geoexpat.com/forum/63/thread176969.html?noembed
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/63/thread213282.html?noembed
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread203457.html?noembed


    iHerb.com - Vitamins, Supplements & Natural Health Products

    Enzos likes this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    21,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzos:
    Our company is paying for our shipping but we just don't have that much to ship!
    We have been living internationally for 13+ years, living in apartments that were furnished and always downsizing when we move, so we don't have furniture only electronics and T.V's, but I've read not to bring those as they wont work!
    So, I figure the best thing to do is to stock up on things that are hard to get/expensive in HK!

    I'm GF so I guess I better stock up on Gluten Free foods especially flours and other specialty items.
    How about wine?

    That still leaves space to fill - What do you wish you brought/stocked up on when you moved???


    (couple, 1 dog no kids, loves cooking)
    Suggest you bring an open mind, Gluten Free may be tough in HK.

    Also local / regional brands of most things are fine for essentials such as washing powder etc

    Where are your TV and electronics from? Just check to see if they can accept 220V - many can, some can not. Anything that heats or has a motor usually isn't universal

    Enzos likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wrong side of the door to hell
    Posts
    6,083
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Suggest you bring an open mind, Gluten Free may be tough in HK.
    Depends - if the gluten-free food is home-made, then, as Shri has mentioned, iHerb makes it reasonably inexpensive ('reasonable' in the world of over-hyped food fads like organic and non-GMO ). Eating out, or buying ready-made not so reasonable.

    M&S do some gluten free ready meal ranges, and the cost is ok when compared with the stupid pricing regimes in expat-'friendly' supermarkets.
    shri and Enzos like this.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzos:

    (couple, 1 dog no kids, loves cooking)
    Talented dog
    Rob2020, shri, Enzos and 4 others like this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Suggest you bring an open mind,

    Where are your TV and electronics from
    Open mind, check!
    Thanks for the tech low down, attached is the info for my smart tv- looks like it is it good to go no?
    Name:  IMG_0015.JPG
Views: 1748
Size:  794.5 KB

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    21,074
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Talented dog
    Especially having mastered a Gluten Free regime.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzos:
    Open mind, check!
    Thanks for the tech low down, attached is the info for my smart tv- looks like it is it good to go no?
    Name:  IMG_0015.JPG
Views: 1748
Size:  794.5 KB
    Yep, the TV will accept local voltage
    Enzos likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    21,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzos:
    Open mind, check!
    Thanks for the tech low down, attached is the info for my smart tv- looks like it is it good to go no?
    Name:  IMG_0015.JPG
Views: 1748
Size:  794.5 KB
    mmm....

    Yes, but no but. It is a smart TV so regional issues for content is a potential

    You could check with the LG support team - they may know more.
    Smart TV LG 32LB580B
    Enzos likes this.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    39,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzos:
    Open mind, check!
    Thanks for the tech low down, attached is the info for my smart tv- looks like it is it good to go no?
    Name:  IMG_0015.JPG
Views: 1748
Size:  794.5 KB
    Looks like a multi-system TV. 100-240V - will work, you'll need to swap the power cord. Not too sure about digital tuners, if you want to watch the hopeless local broadcast channels. It has Netflix, so you're sorted for HK netflix which has a smaller but growing offering compared to US.
    Enzos likes this.

Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast