Like Tree25Likes

Moving to Hong Kong around June 2017 quarry bay - places to stay and schools

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Moving to Hong Kong around June 2017 quarry bay - places to stay and schools

I am very likely to move to hong kong June 2017 from NJ/USA for a year . My current office would be in International Finance Centre but would be moving to quarry bay soon. Can someone please suggest places to stay around quarry bay for a family of 4 budget would be 20 to 25K. Also how is the commute from quarry bay and around to finance center?
    Are there other areas with good commute to quarry bay and financial center and with kids?

I have also read about how difficult it is to get admission into schools I have 2 kids 5 and 9 can someone suggest how do I ensure that my kids can get into some decent english medium schools should we start process now although things(visa ,joining dates) etc are still in the works. I will really appreciate if someone can provide inputs specially for the school part which is the most concerning.

Leazel and tf19 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    On the contrary, the kids know, too, that it's just one year and can maintain friendships. I think the value of children, especially from American suburbs, experiencing a foreign culture first hand is priceless. In fact, at 5 and 9 the OP could work to immerse them in Cantonese or Mandarin thus helping their cognitive development and potentially giving them invaluable experience to an important language that their peers back home wouldn't have. Of course, what they could gain would depend on their parents approach and attitude towards Hong Kong, but at those ages they're old enough to remember "that year we spent in Asia".

The OP might even help their development in such a way to give them a college admissions and scholarship boost.
    dumbdonkey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    On the contrary, the kids know, too, that it's just one year and can maintain friendships. I think the value of children, especially from American suburbs, experiencing a foreign culture first hand is priceless. In fact, at 5 and 9 the OP could work to immerse them in Cantonese or Mandarin thus helping their cognitive development and potentially giving them invaluable experience to an important language that their peers back home wouldn't have. Of course, what they could gain would depend on their parents approach and attitude towards Hong Kong, but at those ages they're old enough to remember "that year we spent in Asia".

The OP might even help their development in such a way to give them a college admissions and scholarship boost.
    Nice idea but very hard to find a space in school for August/September if OP is moving in June. The cost for international schools is very high. And almost impossible to get them into a local school where they will be immersed in Cantonese at those ages with no prior Chinese exposure.
    rickyross and kimwy66 like this.

I would agree with ** that you should seriously consider whether it is worth relocating your family if you are really only going to be here one year.

If you still want to go ahead, yes, you need to start considering schools now. The best way to ensure a decent school is to find out whether your employer is willing to provide you with a corporate debenture, in which case you will almost be guaranteed a school place.

However, most people are not so lucky and will have to apply through other channels and most schools are over-subscribed so you are quite right to have concerns. You should start contacting schools now to find out what their waiting list situation, so you can make the decision whether to put your children on the waiting list. This usually involves a substantial deposit, so you are unlikely to want to do this for more than a handful of schools. You may not get places confirmed until well into the summer (this is because parents don't always give much notice that they are withdrawing their children) and you need to be prepared for schools having a place for one child and not for the other.

With regards to living arrangements, I assume you also know that HK apartments are likely to be much smaller than you are used to in NJ. If you want to stay on HK Island, then expect to get a two-bedroom 600 sq ft apartment for your budget. Commuting from anywhere on the Island to both Central (for IFC) and Quarry Bay (both of which I do frequently) is very quick and easy. North Point and Taikoo Shing are both in walking distance of QB and are popular with families.

You might want to consider the school place situation before deciding where to live, as given your children are quite young, if you end up putting your children in a school off the Island, for example, the American School in Tai Po, you may prefer to live nearby, which will be a longer commute for you (but HK isn't all that big and public transport is good), but you will get more housing for your budget and it will be easier for your children.

Good luck with your move.

biffski, mexmon and shri like this.

Remind me, is homeschool here an option? Would there even be any legal requirements that would be imposed or enforced within a year if they didn't go to school?

Ok folks, how many people do we know that come to HK for one year and end up staying for 5+?

Plans change. Bring the kids. Schools to look at in Quarry Bay - ESF Quarry Bay (long waiting list) and Delia (possibly easier), Korean International School. These are established schools.

You can also try some of the newer schools, but they are in Kowloon - American School, Stamford American, Nord Anglia, Mount Kelly, Shrewsbury, (opening 2018).

Admission Deadlines for the 2016-17 School Year - Hong Kong GeoBaby

American School, Stamford American, Nord Anglia, Mount Kelly, Shrewsbury,

It would take 30-40 minutes door to door from the Quarry Bay to the ICC. Any reason you don't want to consider living in Kowloon instead of the island? You probably could rent something quite nice for 25-30K per year within walking distance from the office.

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    It would take 30-40 minutes door to door from the Quarry Bay to the ICC. Any reason you don't want to consider living in Kowloon instead of the island? You probably could rent something quite nice for 25-30K per year within walking distance from the office.
    IFC not ICC

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    IFC not ICC
    Ah, sorry, that makes more sense

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Ok folks, how many people do we know that come to HK for one year and end up staying for 5+?

Plans change. Bring the kids.
    Agree but my concern is if OP has a housing budget of $20-25K that doesn't sound like a package that will cover two international school tuitions/debentures.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast