Like Tree31Likes

Moving back to Hong kong after 15 years with newborn ??

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Clara123:
    Thanks guys for the advice. I can see where all of you're coming from and that's exactly what I'm struggling. I need to put together a very extensive pro and con list I guess..
    You havent mentioned why you want to return to HK? Why do you want to return? What do you have to look forward in HK that you dont already have in Australia?

Yeah I think the question why do you want to move is the biggest and most important.

I shouldn't generalise Hk is not good for children. Yes there are international schools and I think the 100k fee per year is worth it. But I went to a public school in the west and I know many children here in the local and ESF schools and when their parents are sending you homework questions and you see all the red marks and corrections for an 8 year old. Well I think that is what makes raising a child here a nightmare. Having to spend time on corrections instead of being outside, or I guess the kid could get everything correct to begin with then spend less time on corrections. And all the other kids are doing homework. So time is a very precious commodity if one kid wants to meet up with their friends. I'm only speculating on what I see.

But I do love Hk. For a single or couple, go for it! For kids, make sure you have resources or a plan for them. Then go for it.

Thanks guys for the advice. I can see where all of you're coming from and that's exactly what I'm struggling. I need to put together a very extensive pro and con list I guess..
    I could think of very few pro's living in Hong Kong unless it's for you to be closer to family. Australia wins hands down for raising a family, compared to Hong Kong anyways, so stay put if you have a choice.
    astroboyusa likes this.

My advice is don't move to HK without a job. HK is experiencing a race to the bottom in terms of jobs where getting the cheapest workforce primes over experience. You can see this when going for interview, the main focus is on salary and visa. In your case you will be seen as a high cost and hassle, applying for a Visa is a big no no with some companies.
    Just weight the pros and cons but also think about what is the worst that can happen. In your case it would be not finding a job and running out of money with a baby on the way. It's very risky in my opinion. The high season to look for a job is right after bonus season. HK don't like people who leave their jobs willingly and it will often been seen as something stupid to do in their eyes. It's a keep your head down culture so any form of quitting is not appreciated. Better come with a solid story there.

Also China is tightening its grip on HK, SCMP has become their main propaganda tool here. Don't assume you will have the same rights as an expat in the next decade. Just my two cents. There are a lot of countries in the worlds where you can have a better life if you want some adventure.

astroboyusa likes this.

So my question is are we out of our mind to relocate with a new born on top of finding a new job, place to live in and trying to settle after being away for so long?
    If you're moving to any new place with a newborn and without jobs lined up, I think it's fair to say that it's going to be somewhat stressful at the start - which might impact your overall feeling towards the place.

A few things:
    -Visa - Not sure if this is an issue. Most large employers have no problems dealing with this.

-Medical - Without employer health insurance, private clinics/hospitals are going to be a high out of pocket expense. If you're a HK resident, then vaccinations are free, but you need to do it on the schedule of your local government mother/child wellness clinic.

-Housing - Quite a meaningful monthly cost (check out prices on Centaline/Midland realty), unless someone has empty apartment they are going to let you use. Otherwise, staying with relatives with a newborn may start testing limits of patience on both sides. Especially if you've become used to living spaces in Australia.

-Employment - Arriving here without at least one of you with a job is not a good idea. You may end up forced into accepting an undesirable job/salary, which will impact any future considerations.

Cheap domestic helpers can mean that it's easier on you as a mum (and thus family harmony). Education concerns are still 3-4 years away and really only if you're planning to stay in HK long-term. Low tax rate is nice, although likely eaten up by higher housing costs.
    finnigantodd likes this.

hi there,

First time posting as I'm desperate for some honest and realistic opinions apart from my family's.

I'm 28 from Australia working in the HR field and my husband works in banking. We're newly married and considering to move back to hong kong after 15 years. The thing is we'll be expecting our first child later this year.

So my question is are we out of our mind to relocate with a new born on top of finding a new job, place to live in and trying to settle after being away for so long?

Any thoughts?
    While many of the city at around your age vow for leaving, for the good of the next generation, you and your husband are considering moving back here. No offence, but what makes it comes up to your mind? Seriously, if you could answer this question, you might probably have a clearer picture.
    astroboyusa likes this.

I am a HKer born and raised in HK, immigrate in the 90s and grew up in London as a kid... I came back to HK for University and worked my socks off for 11 years!.... I earned lots of money in HK, but after I got married, I emigrate for a second time to USA... HK is not a good place to raise children..

HK is not the same as it was 15 years ago, to be honest.... As expats, they may have a different circle of friends to us chinese and enjoy their middle-class life with kids going to expensive international schools... But as a local chinese...u certainly need at least one job before u consider coming to HK.. rent alone can kill u... don't even think about renting a decent flat under 10K HKD...

Also International schools are expensive, and they are picky in admitting "chinese" kids... u gotta be real rich and need to show off on the Resume in order for the Principal to admit ur kid..

If that fails, ur kid will end up in a local schools, where they are teaching more mandarin than english... ur kid will live in a cramped flat for the rest of his life. HK is being influenced by Mainland china way too much for my liking, no longer an international city... Just my thought.

Mrs. Jones likes this.