Like Tree63Likes

Moving alone in HK

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by golfingrob:
    I have lived here for 27 years and Chuckster is pretty much spot on, so I recommend you take his advice
    Wait a minute, applying your logic, since I have lived here for more than 27 years, being local, and have actually worked in the real estate business for a couple of years...

Doesn't that mean my opinions are "more right" than your observations?

Hi

There are several websites online that will let you see what you can get for $20k in various neighborhoods around the city. I would have the caveat though that you'll get a cheaper price "on the ground" negotiating with landlords or an agent--I would never rent directly off a website--but it is a helpful way to see what is available.

gohome.com.hk
    spacious.hk
    squarefoot.com.hk

Kennedy Town is a good place for someone young and new to the city. A mix of local shops and gentrified new places with an MTR. I lived in a modern building called the Manhattan Heights for awhile with some nice services like a shuttle to Central. There are other modern buildings as well within your price range.

As a side note there is a growing number of French expatriates in Hong Kong. I think many (with families) head to the South Side near Stanley, but you'll hear French being spoken frequently in many expat areas.

Quote Originally Posted by locust.fund:
    Wait a minute, applying your logic, since I have lived here for more than 27 years, being local, and have actually worked in the real estate business for a couple of years...

Well you worked as a real estate agent so it's natural not to believe anything you say
    TheBrit, jmbf, shri and 2 others like this.

"More right" depends on experience and applied judgement.

I appreciate that you're actually trying to be helpful, but it's not good advice if you can't overcome the prejudices of "being local," and nothing you have written so far indicates that you can separate prejudice from logic.

Prejudice is "I don't like being living in the same area as old poor people or recovering drug addicts." Which can be fine, if you're honest about it.

Logic is asking whether old homeless people and recovering drug addicts, (methadone users seem to spend most their time sitting down exhausted, listlessly staring into space, where I come from, methadone users are occasionally beaten up by 14 year old kids), present the threat of violence. Especially to very conspicuous Westerners who are by and large known to be vocal and mafan when presented with the first hint of trouble.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't want to live in SSP for a list of other reasons which I've already given, but I frequently bring my kid there to visit the stores, look at child-relevant knick knacks, or visit the fabrics market because there is nothing comparable on HK Island.
    Last edited by jgl; 07-06-2017 at 01:55 PM.

French expats can only live in Sheung Wan.

Frankly, I don't think HKD$12k/month can get you anything, AT ALL, on the HK island. Rent at the Kennedy Town area is not that cheap, especially since its MTR station was commissioned in late 2014.

If you insist to rent for HKD$12k/month on the HK island, I would say you will be lucky if you can get something that is more than 300 square feet and less than 50 years old.

A more realistic budget would be HKD$20k/month as suggested earlier, for a "decent size" apartment for one person.

And yes, you can live quite lavishly with a HKD$58k/month income. Average salary for local people is less than HKD$15.5k/month so go figure.
    There are certain people on here whose views are worth ignoring. this guy is one of them.
    jmbf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen:
    French expats can only live in Sheung Wan.
    I hear a lot of French being spoken in Happy Valley in the afternoons - the ladies who lunch type crowd.

Ok, it's a matter of perspective then.

I don't have a daughter yet, but I won't let her live in SSP. End of my statement.
    Clearly a matter of perspective. If you had a daughter it would be HER choice where she lived, not yours.
    jmbf likes this.

Trump is the President of the USA, that doesn't make him right (about anything). You can appear to have status, qualification or experience and still be wrong. You are a perfect example thereof.
    jmbf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I hear a lot of French being spoken in Happy Valley in the afternoons - the ladies who lunch type crowd.
    ummm, dare I ask, WTH are you doing hanging around Happy Valley in the afternoons?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast