Like Tree23Likes

Moving to Hong Kong by End of July - Female

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mexmon:
    Try looking for an apartment around Yau Tong. The expat community is growing, it's cheaper than living in the island and way more quiet. If you are interested I can give the info of my realtor.
    Good luck!
    I actually don't recommend moving off the island to Kowloon if the work is on HK island, for the first year. Make friends first.
    For one big reason but possibly because I am spoilt. The big reason being weather - we are in Typhoon alley - any signal 8 (pending the failure of the legendary Li Ka Shing's forcefield) will mean squeezing into MTRs (or suffocating) during the mad rush to go home as per signal. Black Thunderstorm - seriously that can come at any time.

First year - you make friends - from both HK Island and Kowloon. Any of the above comes on - you know who to bunk with.

Also those looking to save money , Lan Kwai Fong (LKF) is a full on money drainer. Go only on occasions to enjoy the night out.

Also I can eat cheap for HKD 26 dollars at the random-share-your-table-roulette places. It pays to speak Cantonese. Forget Mandarin. Canto will get you bargains and if you can read, even better.

Wet markets - cantonese may be very necessary but they can be cheaper than those daiso 12 HKD shops. They put their prices on makeshift placards.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwings:
    I actually don't recommend moving off the island to Kowloon if the work is on HK island, for the first year. Make friends first.
    For one big reason but possibly because I am spoilt. The big reason being weather - we are in Typhoon alley - any signal 8 (pending the failure of the legendary Li Ka Shing's forcefield) will mean squeezing into MTRs (or suffocating) during the mad rush to go home as per signal. Black Thunderstorm - seriously that can come at any time.
    It's only ONE stop from Quarry Bay, it's not New Territories. I've lived here for almost a year and I have managed to not get killed in the MTR

Quote Originally Posted by mexmon:
    It's only ONE stop from Quarry Bay, it's not New Territories. I've lived here for almost a year and I have managed to not get killed in the MTR
    Yau tong is still on Kowloon, last I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly18:
    I'm Beverly, 23yrs old, my working visa is still on process and my target start date to work in an American bank in Hong Kong is on July 31, 2017.

My office is in Quarry Bay. Aside from the usual benefits (medical, shipping, flights), I have been provided a relocation lump sum of USD 5,000 which I can utilize for the 1st month of my stay there.

Grateful for your insight on:
    1. Place to stay - I do not mind a little commute (say 45mins or less). I have already wrapped my head around the fact that the accommodation in HK is way smaller than the usual sizes across the globe. I also don't feel like spending too much on accommodation, just somewhere I can sleep and read books after work.

2. Food - It's a bit hard really to gauge how much must be allocated for food per month, as the internet provides a very wide range! Personally guys, how much do you spend per month (for yourself) on food?

3. Transpo - I've already been to HK but it was just for tourist-y stuff. I have not really explored the other options for commuting (if need be)

4. Culture - Are there things that I must bear in mind with respect to the culture in HK?

Really appreciate your response, guys.
    God bless.
    Sounds like JPM?

Anyway..

1.) Stay in Quarry Bay. I lived there for 6 months last year and loved it. I was in a flatshare for $10k each. There is a Western Supermarket (Fusion), plenty of restaurants, a cinema and Mall 5 mins walk away. I would recommend you flatshare as it hugely saves on money. For example now I stay on my own and I find it's around $15-$18k for a decent 1 bed anywhere decent on the island line. Quarry Bay is quite Westernized unlike the area North Point right next to it. And you will save on daily MTR costs (about $500-$600 a month if I remember right) which is minor but still saving.

2.) Food... no idea. When I first arrived I was on $38k per month. I found myself spending about $30k every month... if you can then try and set aside 15% for tax which should leave youabout $32-$33k. Spend about $10k on rent and do what you will with the rest. For what it's worth when I spent $30k I cooked about twice a month and bought lunch and dinner from restaurants or takeaways most days.

3.) Buses...MTR...Minubus... all so cheap and convenient I wouldn't even take this into consideration.

4.) Not really... you can go to as Chinese an area as you want or as Western an area as you want. Just realize supermarkets are expensive for Western foods (hence my eating out) and that Chinese restaurants can be very cheap and tasty.

Original Post Deleted
    Depends on where the wet markets are. If you are willing to pay the stated price, you don't need Cantonese.

Original Post Deleted
    Wasn't talking about those 12 dollar items. There is a lot more at some multi-storey wet markets.

Original Post Deleted
    Also OP is on a start of 34k a month. That was my 2014 salary when I first came. Not everyone gets more than a 100k HKD a month with generous housing allowance. If the young lady wishes to save a lot and have a good nest egg by the time she leaves , multi storey wet markets are good for a lot of items. Easy to save a minimum of HKD 10k or so a month then if frugal with a once in a while luxury. That translates to a savings of at least give or take 15k USD a year. Depends if her country does taxation on overseas income too.

Having a little Cantonese lingo will also help in many ways. Not everyone can afford to be the smiling westerner paying more. I have been bargaining for fellow Aussies on a tight budget. From winter clothes to shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by RDB:
    Sounds like JPM?

Anyway..

1.) Stay in Quarry Bay. I lived there for 6 months last year and loved it. I was in a flatshare for $10k each. There is a Western Supermarket (Fusion), plenty of restaurants, a cinema and Mall 5 mins walk away. I would recommend you flatshare as it hugely saves on money. For example now I stay on my own and I find it's around $15-$18k for a decent 1 bed anywhere decent on the island line. Quarry Bay is quite Westernized unlike the area North Point right next to it. And you will save on daily MTR costs (about $500-$600 a month if I remember right) which is minor but still saving.

2.) Food... no idea. When I first arrived I was on $38k per month. I found myself spending about $30k every month... if you can then try and set aside 15% for tax which should leave youabout $32-$33k. Spend about $10k on rent and do what you will with the rest. For what it's worth when I spent $30k I cooked about twice a month and bought lunch and dinner from restaurants or takeaways most days.

3.) Buses...MTR...Minubus... all so cheap and convenient I wouldn't even take this into consideration.

4.) Not really... you can go to as Chinese an area as you want or as Western an area as you want. Just realize supermarkets are expensive for Western foods (hence my eating out) and that Chinese restaurants can be very cheap and tasty.
    Thanks for the above. I am looking now at serviced apartments in North Point/ CWB/ Quarry Bay for my first few months. I don't really want to splurge on the flat. During that time, I'll search for an apartment that I can rent long term (preferably in Quarry Bay) Truth be told I don't mind flat sharing

For food and transpo, based on my research, this shouldn't really be much of a concern. I think renting a flat is the main issue in living in HK..

Again, thanks for your response on my query!

Quote Originally Posted by blackwings:
    Also OP is on a start of 34k a month. That was my 2014 salary when I first came. Not everyone gets more than a 100k HKD a month with generous housing allowance. If the young lady wishes to save a lot and have a good nest egg by the time she leaves , multi storey wet markets are good for a lot of items. Easy to save a minimum of HKD 10k or so a month then if frugal with a once in a while luxury. That translates to a savings of at least give or take 15k USD a year. Depends if her country does taxation on overseas income too.

Having a little Cantonese lingo will also help in many ways. Not everyone can afford to be the smiling westerner paying more. I have been bargaining for fellow Aussies on a tight budget. From winter clothes to shoes.
    Hi @blackwings! Thanks for actively responding to my post! It's good to have those tips from you, more so that you have been there for quite some time now.

Yes, I want to be practical as much as possible. As long as the place is safe and accessible, I'd take it. Preferably in North Point/ Quarry Bay/ CWB though.

I don't need to pay tax in my home country so I would just need to save for the tax in HK. JPM had KPMG to assist me on this for my first year hence I believe this shouldn't be a stretch for me.

I don't mind studying Cantonese. In fact, I'm interested to learn!!

Thanks again dear! xx
    blackwings likes this.