Like Tree5Likes

Keep US Cell Number for SMS / Voice Calls

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Have you looked at porting your existing number to Vonage or Ooma? Though I haven't tried it myself, I believe Ooma has a Premier Service with mobile apps (Android/iOS) that allows you to make and receive unlimited calls.

hi mangohkd. yes, i think that;s an option, however, they don't work with SMS texts, right?

I doubt SMS would work. Both Vonage and Ooma offer only home phone services.

Google voice is great and free. Rings on my phone via hangouts app. Also will ring on Gmail too if you're on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc8mmc8:
    hi, i read about doing it via google voice. What if I also need to receive calls/texts to my US cell number? Would GV work in that scenario? I am not so worried about outgoing calls/texts that I make because I can use a HK calling card or whatever but I am more concerned about being able to pick up the phone and talk when a call comes into my US number. can you please advise? thanks!
    Receive calls - via Google Hangouts app on your phone
    Receive texts - via Google Voice/Hangouts app on your phone

https://support.google.com/voice/ans...DDesktop&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by crystalclear85:
    We also just moved from the US to HK. We ported our numbers to google voice. There is a one time fee of $20. Make sure you port your number a few days before you leave the country or terminate your contract. Google voice has to call you to verify your number so if you're overseas, the call might not go through. It takes about 24-48hrs for your number to be ported. After that you can use call/text using your google voice number via the google voice app. We use it all the time to make calls to the states. You do have to pay to make calls but the fee is negligible. We haven't done it it, but from my research, when we do move back to the states, all we have to do is request our mobile carrier to port the google voice number to our new mobile account. Hope that helps.
    What happens to Hong Kong local calls? Do local callers have to call long distance to this ported number and is it long distance calling a HK number from this number?

Quote Originally Posted by answerer:
    Receive calls - via Google Hangouts app on your phone
    Receive texts - via Google Voice/Hangouts app on your phone
    Is this different from whatsapp? or is it last century technology?

Quote Originally Posted by novitaconnect:
    What happens to Hong Kong local calls? Do local callers have to call long distance to this ported number and is it long distance calling a HK number from this number?
    it's two different things... OP just wanted to receive calls from their US a number...

you still need a HK SIM in order to have any kind of service on your phone. so you would use your HK number for local calls and to receive local calls.

this google voice thing is similar to whatsapp where it uses data instead of phone side for the call... but at the same time it's different because any phone line (land or cell) calling the number will get moved to the data side and ring the google hangout app because essentially google is providing a VoIP service...

Quote Originally Posted by novitaconnect:
    Is this different from whatsapp? or is it last century technology?
    https://voice.google.com/about

it's similar, but different in a way where whatsapp need an active phone line with SMS service in order to use, vs, google voice provides you a new number to use the service. in the OPs case, porting the old number to them.

launched in 2009, it was one of the cheaper long distance calling solution calling from the US.

Thank you for your explanation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast