Like Tree37Likes

Moving from DC to HK WIth A Dog

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Moving from DC to HK WIth A Dog

@Tripsearching -- How did the move go? Where did you end up living after your temporary stay in corporate housing?

I will be making a similar move to HK from Washington DC at the end of August (yikes, only one month to go!) and have many of the same questions you had as you were preparing to move.

I am single, will be bringing a 20 lbs dog (dachschund mix), and will work in Causeway Bay. My salary will be approximately 170k HKD/month (not including a 20K/month rental subsidy for the first two years). I'd like to get a 1 bedroom plus den for 25K on the HK island side, if possible. Commuting time matters somewhat to me so I want to live near an MTR station and would prefer not to have to change trains. I'm also a foodie and love a well-made cocktail so would like a place that has good food/drink/entertainment options that are nearby or easily accessible. Is my rental budget realistic?

I've been thinking about Kennedy Town but are there any other areas I should look at? I'll be taking a familiarization and preliminary apartment shopping trip out there next week.

Also would be interested in how things fared with importing the dog (did your dog end up in quarantine?), your recommendations regarding bank accounts (is HSBC still the way to go? What about Citi?), and any other tips you (or others) might have. Thanks!

[Edited from https://geoexpat.com/forum/63/thread341315.html]

Last edited by shri; 28-07-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Bring a dog to HK? WTF. Surely gotta wonder about some folks and their needed 'creature comforts'.

@mtpasc will your dog be able to fly? Some airlines have restrictions on breeds.

Plenty of recommendations in this thread re places to live, budget and how to find an apartment - all still valid. Banks too; get your paperwork in order and head down to HSBC in Exchange Sq which is expat friendly.

As someone who recently relocated with pets I strongly advise you seriously consider it, quality of life just isn't the same for them out here.

mtpasc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Bring a dog to HK? WTF. Surely gotta wonder about some folks and their needed 'creature comforts'.
    Many people consider their pets as 'family' so I can understand the desire to bring them along. The only problem would be for the overall welfare of the animal if they are forced to live in a confined space without much exercise. As the OP is on 170K / month (190K / month with housing allowance) I don't particularly think it's going to be a problem in this case.
    mtpasc likes this.

190K a month WTF, some people will gladly pretend to be your dog for some of that money LOL

25K rental for 1 bedroom is plenty and you'll have no problems finding one for a single bloke with a dog.

Edwardstorm, mtpasc and papaya like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mtpasc:
    Is my rental budget realistic?
    I am reminded of the lady at the planetarium the other day who felt the need to ask a question about plasma during an introduction to the solar system. Worst humble brag ever.

Your rental budget is 13% of your income, and you seem to know enough about HK's neighborhoods and the MTR to not need to ask whether your budget is realistic. Surely you have looked at HK housing websites?

If this was not a humble brag, then I apologize. But even if so, in USD you will be literally in the 1%, and it just shows how out of touch you are. C'mon, man. You're going to be fine, with dog or not.

The dog is going to be the one suffering living in a small box in the city and with your working hours and going out for cocktails, maybe you can hire a live in helper to care for the dog. The guy will be fine. Maybe Wan Chai is your place to be!

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    I am reminded of the lady at the planetarium the other day who felt the need to ask a question about plasma during an introduction to the solar system. Worst humble brag ever.

Your rental budget is 13% of your income, and you seem to know enough about HK's neighborhoods and the MTR to not need to ask whether your budget is realistic. Surely you have looked at HK housing websites?

If this was not a humble brag, then I apologize. But even if so, in USD you will be literally in the 1%, and it just shows how out of touch you are. C'mon, man. You're going to be fine, with dog or not.
    Sorry, my question was not meant as a humble brag. I understand that I am very fortunate; my overall salary is more than enough to afford a good quality of life in HK. My question was not whether my salary is enough but whether my budget of 25k a month for a 1 bedroom plus den is realistic. I want to know whether I should readjust my budget to a higher monthly rent. I have done my research but wanted to get the opinions of the many users here who have gone through this experience and know HK much better than I.

Could I afford to pay more per month? On the limited financial information I've disclosed, the answer is indubitably yes so I understand why my posting could be read as being out of touch and there's no need for you to apologize for calling me out on it. My financial picture, however, is much more complex than I feel comfortable or believe it appropriate (or even relevant) to share here. Thanks for responding to my posting though!
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Not about creature comforts and all about a commitment I made when I got her from the rescue shelter. It's been a really tough decision and I've looked at other options but this is the best one. Believe me, it would be much easier as well as much less expensive to not take her to HK but I made a commitment to care for her and give her a good quality of life, and I have the means to do it. I can't in good conscious shirk this responsibility. She's family.
    papaya, kimwy66, z754103 and 2 others like this.

What's important to consider -- perhaps the most important thing -- is what walking requirements your dog will have and how you can best meet that in a very dense city. I suggest you look a little higher up on the hill so you'll have faster access to the trails/paths around the country parks, so being near Sai Ying Pun Exit C or near the Hopewell Centre in Wan Chai (to access Bowen Road and Wan Chai Gap Road). To make the kind of salary you mentioned, I assume you're going to have to work long hours -- perhaps you should consider if you should hire a full-time, live-in helper so they can help make sure your dog gets the daily care and attention it needs. Others know better, but I have a feeling it isn't so easy to arrange a daily dog walker in the city (like it might be in NY).

With that kind of income and a commitment to a dog, I would suggest increasing your housing budget so you can have a more comfortable space for your dog.

mtpasc likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast