Like Tree10Likes

Moving to HK from India

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to HK from India

Hi,

I am planning my move from New Delhi-India to Hong Kong, soon.

I have been offered HKD45,000 per month.

We are family of two, me and my wife.

Know us:
    Software Engineer by profession.
    Like traveling.
    Non Alcoholic.

Non Smoking.
    Like to dine out twice or thrice a month.

How much should I expect from my salary.
    Will I be able to save for my retirement ?
    Is my salary good as per my living standard mentioned above
    ?

Without kids it is very doable. You can rent an one bedroom apartment for 15k, food and other daily expense 10k per month. The apartment will be small but big enough to use it a base to explore Hong Kong. You can set aside your target saving then use the rest for entertainment, travel, clothing, gift etc.

shri and Kowloon Goon like this.

My company would be sponsoring my wife's visa. But I am sure it would be dependent visa. Can she work on a dependent visa. She is into Corporate Finance and an Indian CA.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer_india:
    My company would be sponsoring my wife's visa. But I am sure it would be dependent visa. Can she work on a dependent visa. She is into Corporate Finance and an Indian CA.

Thanks!

Yes, she can work on a dependant visa, and she should. $45K is low for a couple. If you're planning on starting a family soon this can be expensive. Best to start saving now.

You sponsor the visa for her, not your company. She is your dependant.

Rent, food, utilities, tax, MPF, transport, travel - all cost money. $45K will not be so much for saving. Have your wife find a job.

And to remember for renting, pay 2 months deposit, 1st month advance, and half month to real estate agent. That is 3 1/2 months of renting money up front.

I assume employers are still open
    for negotiation. What salary I demand for considering the fact that my wife is not working initially.

Thanks

Some inputs:
    - Is 45k/month cash-in-hand, or are you including your bonus/ incentive, pension fund , etc. into that figure? If you are including everything and then it is 45k/month, then it would be quite tight. If it is all cash and not CTC, then it can be reasonable for a basic lifestyle, until you can settle down and optimize.
    - As mentioned above, your biggest struggle would be your upfront deposit, advance etc. for a house. eg. for a 15k/month house , you would need to shell out 52.5k upfront. No reasonable salary negotiation will account for that, you need a decently large relocation allowance from your employer to meet this cash outgo.
    - See glassdoor reviews to get a sense of how much room you have to negotiate on the monthly salary, and bonus/ incentive.

dreamer_india likes this.

Okay, I will rephrase it.

What salary I should demand to live a comfortable life. I have a family of two and I am the only earner.

Also, my office is in Fo Tan, HK. What would be better near by place for me to look for my 1BHK Condominium. What should be the rent. (Aprox)

Thanks!

Last edited by dreamer_india; 10-10-2017 at 02:25 PM.

If you are making the demands, then you can ask for as much as you like.

I think 50-60k take home pay is very very comfortable for just 2 people. If you are into your brand name bags and clothes every week, then maybe not. But many people can live fairly simply and survive fairly well on less than 30k with no kids.

So if your justification for your salary demands are based on living standard, rather than your job responsibilities, then you could actually demand less than what they are offering.

shri, Kowloon Goon and jgl like this.

I am offered salary of 70k / monthly and it does not include rental or kid education n Tax . Advice for good living including renting a 3 bedroom appartment .

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast