Like Tree6Likes

Move to HK: Need Help on Various Topics - Me [29 y/o] and My GF [28 y/o]

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Move to HK: Need Help on Various Topics - Me [29 y/o] and My GF [28 y/o]

Hi all

I am senior IT consultant (w. a bachelors degree in Information Technology) working in Zurich, Switzerland. I have been working with banks, customizing and coding software for trading applications, for the past 10+ years. I was born and raised here. I make yearly about 100 - 150k CHF / 800k - 1.2M HKD in my current job, my GF about 80 - 120k CHF / 640 - 950k HKD. She holds a masters degree in architecture from one of the worlds top universities (ETH Zurich) and has about 1.5 years working experience in the field.

Im trying to keep this short and structured, so here are my/our questions:

- What salary can we expect w. our background and working experience in HK?
    - How much % should we plan on putting aside from our net-income, for taxes, health care, transportation, gym membership, food (eating out and cooking) etc.?
    - Does anybody have a budget calculator for HK?
    - What areas should we consider living in? Can you please mention why you think this area is good for living, security, proximity, costs?
    - Is there any "onboarding" guide for expats that answers my above questions and more?

Thanks a lot in advance!!
    -foxeye

Last edited by foxeye; 11-10-2017 at 05:42 PM.

I think you will be hard pressed to answer any of these Qs until you get a job in HK. And that will not be as easy as you may want.
    If you arrive here with no job in hand, then double difficult.

My current company happens to have offices all over the world, HK included. So I might consider "transferring" but tbh I would also like to just move to HK and look for jobs when im there, maybe take a 1-2 month break prior.

So basically, you are saying the latter - moving there and then start looking for jobs - is not "as easy as it sounds" ?

It's tough to get a job in HK without a job. Better check for Internal transfer with current company. As for your gf it will not be easy to get something in architecture in HK, they basically don't build many buildings compare to before, so there is a lot of supply in architects, it's all in China now.
    Do you speak Cantonese and/or Mandarin, this could definitely impact your job search and make it easier.

JAherbert likes this.

So you live in nice, clean Switzerland and want to come here? Why?

Elegiaque likes this.

I want to make an experience abroad, I feel like this the perfect time to have such an experience. I am not saying I want to stay in HK forever, my plan is to return to Zurich at some point - I love Zurich after all.

No my GF is not of chinese/asian decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    It's tough to get a job in HK without a job. Better check for Internal transfer with current company. As for your gf it will not be easy to get something in architecture in HK, they basically don't build many buildings compare to before, so there is a lot of supply in architects, it's all in China now.
    Do you speak Cantonese and/or Mandarin, this could definitely impact your job search and make it easier.
    mhh this makes sense, but sucks. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Do you think we'd be better off in Tokyo? Or what other asian city could you recommend for our job profiles?
    Last edited by foxeye; 11-10-2017 at 09:17 PM.

if only i can swap jobs with someone in zurich

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    agree with @Plutark try an internal transfer if you really want to experience choking air pollution. your g/f does not know the complex local codes, the local jargon, cant mark up drawings at BD, would not qualify for technical competency grades 1-4 (no Hong Kong experience) so she might find it very difficult to gain a decent position, also all the site work, project meetings directing contractors is typically conducted in Cantonese so without Chinese she might be relegated to cad slave. most A/E firms use AutoCAD here incidentally, all the local codes and jargon can be learned but that takes time.

Just to add as well, if you both want to move here, you will both need to find jobs and be sponsored on an employment visa. HK does not recognise common law relationships, so she will not be able to get a dependant visa.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast