Like Tree68Likes

Chinese Girlfriend job search/relocation queries

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    What maths are you applying to make 80 become 35k after tax and MPF? Tax will be less than 10% at that salary and MPF maxes out at 1.5 per month.... so he'll lose perhaps 10k max (and likely less after all the extra budget allowances).

80k per month is plenty for a couple. We spend far less than that and still have a good lifestyle. There is no need to pay 35k per month on accommodation. Just find somewhere a little further out.
    Fairly sure tax is more than 10% at that salary. Unless you are building in the allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Fairly sure tax is more than 10% at that salary. Unless you are building in the allowance.
    Yes you are right. A quick look at the government tax calculator gives me 12.9% including a single persons allowance and nothing else.

Original Post Deleted
    Yup, I've occasionally had trouble getting a cross-harbour taxi as well. Not always, but sometimes. Whether that inconvenience is worth the premium of living island-side is up to the OP to decide.

Or alternatively as someone else suggested they could live a bit further along the island line as a compromise.
    OjazosDie likes this.

OP - your GF will have difficulty finding a job because her skill set doesn't really suit HK's main areas of business - law, finance, logistics, or real estate. She might be able to find something, but chemistry/health care isn't that big in HK (unless you're a prof services guy that services them). Obviously these industries do exist here and there are jobs but it would be difficult.

Speaking English and Mandarin are OK but further limit her options to international or mainland firms.

Regarding renting in central, one of my friend's apartments is around 400-500 sq ft, 1 br, and rents out for around 23k a month (before utilities). It's on hollywood road but I forgot the name of the building. Would recommend that you look around before you commit to a rental contract.

Quote Originally Posted by OjazosDie:
    Hello everyone,

I have been offered a role in HK by my current employer, starting after summer 2018. They will make me experience HK for 3 months in early 2018 and then, if I like there, just relocate completely.
    I have been in HK many times and both role and salary are ok, but my main worry is: how to relocate there with my Gf? Will she ever find a job?!?

Summary:
    - mainland Chinese, 31yo
    - British Permanent Residency holder (16years living in UK)
    - master’s degree in chemistry
    - 6-7years of experience in Health Care (Medical trials, team lead, PA, etc). Not a doctor.

My salary would be around HKD 950k so I think we can both survive a couple of months with just my salary (still living in Central...), but if finding a job for her in HK is almost impossible we would struggle for longer.

Anyone here knows someone that had a similar experience? Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot everyone
    OjazosDie likes this.

My salary would be around HKD 950k

POSH!
    markranson likes this.

Yeah, I guess we're all doomed with about 80k per month! (Sarcasm heavily intended )

Hello everyone,

I have been offered a role in HK by my current employer, starting after summer 2018. They will make me experience HK for 3 months in early 2018 and then, if I like there, just relocate completely.
    I have been in HK many times and both role and salary are ok, but my main worry is: how to relocate there with my Gf? Will she ever find a job?!?

Summary:
    - mainland Chinese, 31yo
    - British Permanent Residency holder (16years living in UK)
    - master’s degree in chemistry
    - 6-7years of experience in Health Care (Medical trials, team lead, PA, etc). Not a doctor.

My salary would be around HKD 950k so I think we can both survive a couple of months with just my salary (still living in Central...), but if finding a job for her in HK is almost impossible we would struggle for longer.

Anyone here knows someone that had a similar experience? Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot everyone
    markranson likes this.

On the other hand, since your gf can't find a job, why don't you marry her and have kids and live your life happily ever after? unless you worried about the hefty divorce bill with your 80k per month salary!

markranson likes this.

80K per month is an obscene amount of salary and anyone who professes hardship on the basis of such a salary, even in a place as expensive as HK, should have his arse sacked because he's just an entitled prick.

jimbo likes this.

I am not sure why people waste their and my time posting stupid comments.
    80k is not a crazy salary: actually most of the people I know in HK, get double than that (all work in Finance or Sales Exec). For this reason, there is no point for me to ask them as they live “in their own world”...

I am not sure why people waste their and my time posting stupid comments.
    80k is not a crazy salary: actually most of the people I know in HK, get double than that (all work in Finance or Sales Exec).
    I agree with you. There are a lot of high earners here. The survey mentioned in this thread (https://geoexpat.com/forum/26/thread340831.html) puts the average expat salary at approx 110K / month.
    OjazosDie likes this.