Like Tree54Likes

Moving to HK from London with 2y.o. kid

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I guess you missed this part of the opening post

Like it or lump it, helpers are a big part of the scene looking after children here.
    you'd be incorrect. saw that. just don't see the need to rehash the same arguments yet again... which is where this thread sure seems to be heading.

yes, some notice is warranted for the OP: many many families have helpers. just seems we've gone beyond that here.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    yes, some notice is warranted for the OP: many many families have helpers. just seems we've gone beyond that here.
    Possibly - it just strikes at the heart of the one of the big issues of bringing up children in Hong Kong, alongside pollution. There are plenty of positives too - excellent schools, good personal safety, lots of extra-curricular options.... worth sharing all the opinions for the OP as I am sure her children are a massive part of the moving decision.
    Bob Loblaw likes this.

We moved here from the UK with a 4 year old and a 2 year old in June, so hopefully can offer a useful perspective...

HK is very family friendly. Lots of nice parks and playgrounds tucked away all over the place. Quite a few soft play centres and similar dotted about as well.

Nurseries are completely different over here - in the UK nurseries are "child care" for working parents, over here they are "educational". For example, most only offer morning or afternoon sessions, for a similar price to what we were paying for full days in the UK. Also, the majority are accompanied (i.e. you have to go with them). There are a few nurseries that do unaccompanied - our two year old goes to Letterland in Causeway Bay. Also no wraparound care like in the UK (e.g. morning sessions are generally 9-12, and afternoon 14 - 17). A lot of the nurseries use the UK Early Years Foundation Study system.

School fees are very expensive, unless you are happy for your child to attend a local (Cantonese speaking) school. International schools vary in price, have a look at Top Schools website for more information. They advised and helped us when we were looking for places for our eldest (who started in Reception this September (i.e. short term). Our son's school fees are about HK$135,000 this year, but my employer pays it thankfully. I would advise you find out ASAP whether school fees will be part of your remuneration package!!!!!

As for accommodation, find out if (and how much) your accommodation allowance will be. Not sure what area of London you come from but property prices here make even some central London areas look affordable. The areas to look for apartments will depend to some extent on where your workplace is, and more so where your children will be at school.

Short line is, get more information about the package.

Also, we don't have a helper!!

Mat, z754103 and HKSGHK like this.

Possibly - it just strikes at the heart of the one of the big issues of bringing up children in Hong Kong, alongside pollution. There are plenty of positives too - excellent schools, good personal safety, lots of extra-curricular options.... worth sharing all the opinions for the OP as I am sure her children are a massive part of the moving decision.
    Having a helper is not a big issue. that's in your head.

It's a big issue if you don't know what you want and how to manage people. it's an asset and add value if you know what you want and how to handle the situation.

You never had one, so once again talking from a position of ignorance.

I have seen 6 years old being fed by western parents - are we going to blame western parenting? No.

OP, please get a clear understanding of the package. that is right now your main issue. The bed size etc are very minor issues and not really a case for stress.

The package. that's the key.

Possibly - it just strikes at the heart of the one of the big issues of bringing up children in Hong Kong, alongside pollution. There are plenty of positives too - excellent schools, good personal safety, lots of extra-curricular options....
    yes, all good points.
    i tend to think it's a great place to be a kid. forget if i've said this already in this thread, but tons of trains and construction sites to watch, playgrounds to play in. great place to raise a multilingual kid as well. you can't ignore the pollution, though obviously it's not a dealbreaker for me or we'd be elsewhere. though, we're lucky in that we can send the kid to a cantonese school.

Thank you everybody for such terrific advices/views! Need some days to finalise transfer package, then will get back here with more questions)))

Elegiaque and Mat like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4