Like Tree37Likes

Moving to HK with Twins - Help

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Moving to HK with Twins - Help

Hi all. My wife and i with our 1.7yr old twin boys are moving to HK in January. I am a banker and work will be in Central in Champions Tower. Initially will be put up in a serviced apartment.

Boys need some space and a play area / park close by for them to expend energy. We would be looking for at least a 2 bedroom with space for a helper. I am reading Kennedy Town is a good place for young families. Appreciate thoughts and suggestions on accommodation. I am looking at a budget of 45k.

We also have a small french bull dog. Need to figure out how to get him across when i have the family settled.

all thoughts welcome. This move has me overwhelmed.

Take a week and come to HK to take a physical look at your options.

your budget is very very tight for a family of 4.

I don’t think you will live anywhere near the island if you want space, facilities and parks nearby.

olympic might be an option. There are older flats that might just be in your budget.

lamma island could work out too if you are the nature type.

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:

I don’t think you will live anywhere near the island if you want space, facilities and parks nearby.
    I live in a 3 bed plus helper room flat in Pokfulam and pay $4xxxx. We have facilities and it’s pretty green around here. I can think of several other buildings nearby where you’d find the same. Our old place in Mid-Levels West is also 3 bed (no helper room and smallish flat) with facilities and rents for $4xxxx. Not sure you’re up to date on prices @Nep.

OP come take a look, you can definitely find what you’re after at that budget no problem.
    shri and Titus like this.

Working in Central and wanting somewhere with room to run around and a dog - this just shrieks Discovery Bay to me. Check it out. Lower prices than HK island, direct ferry to central. More space. MUCH more green. It's not called DB (= "dogs and babies") for nothing.

Mrs. Jones and MandM! like this.

You must be looking for places allowing dogs, there are many modern apartments not allowing dogs including very small ones.
    HKSGHK likes this.

find apartments around Belchers bay park, quite good for kids, even I drive all the way there from Chai wan so my kid can meet up with my mates kid to run around there, they even have a small grass field so you can play some games inside. slightly further down is the public swimming pool,, kids section of the pool is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    $45k is tight for housing?

Wow so much wrong in this thread.

45K - good enough for a decent two bedders in HK.

Places to run around...if you live on HK Island, you have access to parks (You don't need to be n DB to have space) and beaches within 5-10-15-20mn depending on where you live.
    Same for the dog. If you take a place near Bowen road for example ...plenty of options.

I have a 3 years old, he needs space to run around..it doesn't mean he needs 3km of beaches but having a play ground down the building and a park within 2mn (and in our case the beach two mn away too) is good enough..

As for 45k look here:

- Mid levels
    - Pokfulam
    - Kennedy Town (some parts)
    - Wan Chai (the parts closer to Bowen/Stubbs)
    - Happy Valley (lots of greenery nearby)

But yes:
    - Look around when you are in your service apartment
    - be aware that HK is expensive overall housing wise

Come see the place first.

Most landlord's do not like pets. Some landlords say pets are ok when the building says no. You should check both as the fault ends up with you.

Pok fu lam sounds good like others suggested. Anything connected to an Mtr is busy and not very pet friendly unless you go to Tai Hang / Happy Valley area. Plenty of options in your budget and can get a car too. Nice for going to Sai Kung and country parks if that's your thing.

Know that most 2 bed are 450-500 sq ft. 3 bed ranges 600-800' mostly then you enter the luxury zone at >800/1000'. I would scratch 2 bed off your search--will be a headache (and waste of your time) and you need one bedroom as your closet anyway, one more for a helper and one for the kids unless you anticipate the helper sharing a room with your kids but given your budget doubt that's your situation. Look for 3 bed 2 bath or 3 bed + helper room ideally. You might end up with something a little older (parquet floors) or Chinese style (heavy brown colours--drives me nuts lol).

Also Kennedy road and robinson road a good pick but I'd consider raising budget to 50k if you want facilities in your building. 40-45k definitely possible for older building with no facilities. Problem is the layouts of flats can be killer.

East_coast likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast