Like Tree5Likes

Monthly food bill

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Monthly food bill

Hi all. I had some conversations on here a while ago, and most people say 10K a months is enough to budget for food.
    Having been walking around a bit over the last few days here in HK, 10K seems a bit low.
    Any comments ?
    Thanks Guys

Depends on how many people etc.

Fruit and veg and meat from the wet markets is cheap, You can buy plenty for just a few hundred dollars.

Really - I am obviously not looking right. But for example a normal Yogurt is 70 bugs !!! It all must add up very quickly. Its only the two of us !!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Chappy:
    Really - I am obviously not looking right. But for example a normal Yogurt is 70 bugs !!! It all must add up very quickly. Its only the two of us !!
    Yes dairy is expensive, but $70 for a yoghurt???
    Where are you shopping?
    jrkob likes this.

I must look again tomorrow - I am obviously getting mixed up ?

you can easily spend 70 bucks for a proper yogurt but then who eats proper yogurt in hong kong? not many is the true answer - essentially you are talking about a niche item that only expats eat.

if you eat like locals, shopping in wet markets, buying standard wellcome or parknshop items, then 10k is well enough for a family. i would guess you can live on 5k by that standard.

if however you want to eat like an expat (ie like at home) then you will pay top dollars for many items that a common local won't be buying, you will buy in citysuper, jasons, etc. and spend a lot more.

for reference we spend 15k per month for a family, but all our food is entirely organic and we buy tons from iherb and the likes. it's a choice though

shri likes this.

10k is way too high. I eat out most of the time and my budget for lunch and dinner is around $60-70 per meal, sometimes less. Normally spend about 3-4K a month. I eat at Yoshinoya, Cafe de coral, Fairwood, Subway, local vietnamese joint, ramen joint, local thai joint most days and its fine.

imparanoic likes this.

It depends on your age and the food intake you need to do your work,
    and you need to know he right places in HK

I spend 3k a month

Some people in HK get 10k monthly salary and survive. Is that 10k for a family or just u? 4k for 1 person should be enough.

Depends what you want to eat. Are you talking just cooking meals or eating out too?

Local or western food?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast