Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree25Likes

HK Expat Moving Back To Hong Kong - IT Networking Industry

I think there is some good advice and information here but i can understand why the OP and many others would still want to move here.

It's exciting and fun and an amazing city. It does have negatives, but what city doesn't? It really depends on what you want at your stage of life.

I came here in my early 20s and everyone else was telling me the work culture was tough, the pollution was bad, the climate was terrible (compared to UK). And its the same issues now 10 years later.

But when i was starting work, i kinda expected to be in a shitty role wherever i went. Its so rare to find your dream job the first few years of working. Its different at my current stage of life where i have other considerations. But when i moved here, i was more than happy to work a shitty job living in a small flat, but in an exciting, convenient new city.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    I think there is some good advice and information here but i can understand why the OP and many others would still want to move here.

It's exciting and fun and an amazing city. It does have negatives, but what city doesn't? It really depends on what you want at your stage of life.

I came here in my early 20s and everyone else was telling me the work culture was tough, the pollution was bad, the climate was terrible (compared to UK). And its the same issues now 10 years later.

But when i was starting work, i kinda expected to be in a shitty role wherever i went. Its so rare to find your dream job the first few years of working. Its different at my current stage of life where i have other considerations. But when i moved here, i was more than happy to work a shitty job living in a small flat, but in an exciting, convenient new city.
    I’d also say food in Hong Kong is much less expensive than New Zealand as well where I lived for 20+ years

Quote Originally Posted by H39H40
    I’d also say food in Hong Kong is much less expensive than New Zealand as well where I lived for 20+ years
    You have decades of career ahead of you. The relative cost of food over the next couple of years should not even factor in to a decision of where to be building work experience.

@UK/HKboy I can understand that HK is a lot more exciting than NZ, but the OP sounds like he's got a job that exposes him to a good range of IT activities already. Finding that in HK would be considerably harder, especially if he's not got a university degree. This makes him unattractive to recruiters and also means that many HR screens will filter out his application. So he's only really got relatives' contacts to be relying on out here.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    You have decades of career ahead of you. The relative cost of food over the next couple of years should not even factor in to a decision of where to be building work experience.

@UK/HKboy I can understand that HK is a lot more exciting than NZ, but the OP sounds like he's got a job that exposes him to a good range of IT activities already. Finding that in HK would be considerably harder, especially if he's not got a university degree. This makes him unattractive to recruiters and also means that many HR screens will filter out his application. So he's only really got relatives' contacts to be relying on out here.
    Depends how it goes I may go through a city and Guilds IT certification course

Okay, not sure how that would affect what country to be based in though.

Maybe if you're only eating a bowl of wonton noodles everyday, but once you get into Western cuisine its as expensive as anywhere else. Plus i'd say the quality of fresh fruit and veg is much better in NZ, than say HK where its all imported.

Depends how it goes I may go through a city and Guilds IT certification course
    From what the others say, if your job and career is the main reason for looking at HK, then i think you are best served staying in NZ.

But you seem fairly set on moving back, so i get the impression there are other attractive factors too. I would agree with the others that having no degree makes it a lot more difficult to find a job in HK especially if you haven't kept up with your Chinese language.

When i came back, i had a uni degree and i wasn't too bothered what i did. I was open minded and treated everything as an experience. I am not sure if thats what you want and you are able to do.

Some Downsides of coming back to hk from Nz:

Poor air (you should return if that impacts your health drastically)
    shit quqkity, over priced food
    Congestion
    Long working hours whif can be really stressful
    Expensive housing (seems you have that sorted already)

upsides:
    If you are Chinese, then no/less racism
    Cheap booze
    A place to indulge yourself, debauchery (easier to get laid, massages etc)
    assistance in getting a job (you've mentioned you know people in the same industry)

Your parents are HK Chinese, you have HKPR or HK ROA and living overseas. Overseas HK people is a more suitable term than HK Expat in HK society.

Cheaper and more variety of food here, if you eat, read menu and order food like a local.
    Possible discrimination and or communication problems if your Cantonese/Mandarin/Chinese is not good. Not a issue in a very diverse work enviroment where some western expats work, is a potential issue in work enviroment full of Chinese and the newcomer is a Overseas Chinese. There maybe some or many reading and typing required in Chinese at work. Co workers may expect the OP the same at work coz he or she is an ethnic Chinese with HK root.

Drinking at bars is not cheap.
    Can visit Mainland, Taiwan and a dozen nearby similar or cheaper asian countries from HK. NZ is far from HK and Asian countries, similar flight time like London-HK and LA-HK. Only close to expensive Australia.

Hi H39H40. I hope i'm not intruding by posting here. I'm in the same situation as you. I was born in HK but grew up in Auckland. Have worked on system integration projects (contracting) for MNC's around the globe, but I came back to NZ to get my bachelors degree so that I have a better chance of settling in HK and finding work. I'm graduating in April and planning to move to HK in May of this year. Following this thread, and would appreciate any advice on finding work. I can speak basic Cantonese & understand it perfectly, but will need to take classes for reading & writing. Thanks in advance - and sorry if I'm breaking some kind of forum etiquette by posting here...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234