Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9
Like Tree90Likes

Relocate to HK with family - where to stay

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis
    You need to be here in HK to find a place - you can't do it from overseas. It can often be very quick from viewing a place you like to move in. Temp accommodation might seem like a waste but you sign long leases here so it's worth it to find the right place. Also, there's often a time delay between people arriving in HK and their shipping arriving.
    thank you!
    do you know how quickly I can own a car here,assuming I don’t need extra test for my Australian driver licence.

I plan to drive to work. The parking will be around 5000per month at work but seems all worth it given my long hours and desire to live in a village.

Please don't get a car until you have been here a few weeks. I know you think you want one, but you may find a great place to live near a bus line and realise that actually a car is just an inconvenience. That's what we did - moved with a plan to "see how we go and get a car in a couple of weeks if we need one". That was 11 years ago. Never needed one (and yes, we live in the NT nowhere near an MTR). Plus, second the fact that not only is it really hard to rent a place unless you are here, its also a REALLY bad idea. You have to see these things in real life. Ideally at different times of day to gauge unexpected problems (like parking, noisy neighbours, dogs barking etc etc).

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Please don't get a car until you have been here a few weeks. I know you think you want one, but you may find a great place to live near a bus line and realise that actually a car is just an inconvenience. That's what we did - moved with a plan to "see how we go and get a car in a couple of weeks if we need one". That was 11 years ago. Never needed one (and yes, we live in the NT nowhere near an MTR). Plus, second the fact that not only is it really hard to rent a place unless you are here, its also a REALLY bad idea. You have to see these things in real life. Ideally at different times of day to gauge unexpected problems (like parking, noisy neighbours, dogs barking etc etc).

Thank you. I have a toddler and a dog both of whom need regular outings. I can picture them on public transport. But I like your comment on scoping the neighbourhood will def try. Not so much the barking I’m used to it. It’s more like neighbours and community I’m concerned with.

Quote Originally Posted by helenstoHK
    Thank you. I have a toddler and a dog both of whom need regular outings. I can picture them on public transport. But I like your comment on scoping the neighbourhood will def try. Not so much the barking I’m used to it. It’s more like neighbours and community I’m concerned with.
    Your dog won't go on public transport, that's for sure (except taxis). But you may be surprised by the toddler - plenty of people in HK catching buses with children. You really do need to spend some time here before you make your decisions. Even if you get a car you may find that (like many people in HK who have cars) you prefer public transport for the commute and just use the car at weekends.
    helenstoHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by helenstoHK
    thank you!
    do you know how quickly I can own a car here,assuming I don’t need extra test for my Australian driver licence.

I plan to drive to work. The parking will be around 5000per month at work but seems all worth it given my long hours and desire to live in a village.
    You don't need a test, you can exchange your licence. You can't do that until you have your ID card, which takes 3 weeks or so. Then it is 1 week to get your HK licence, so minimum 4 weeks.

But you will probably find that the commuting idea takes more time than using public transport, unless your start / finish times are outside of rush hour.

Edit: Exchange was the wrong word, since you aren't required to give up your original licence. So more correct to say you use your current licence to get a HK one.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 07-05-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9