Like Tree75Likes

Should I move to HK?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7
    Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    The reality is that many of the kids that are brought up in HK rarely lift a finger in the home because they often have domestic helpers. Combine that with the fact that there are few opportunities for them to be handy with tools and that with long hours at work, people often eat on the run and you have a number of men not great at looking after themselves. Of course, it's not as much of an issue if there's always domestic help. I know several older expats that I wouldn't classify as overly attractive that have met attractive and somewhat wealthy younger HK women with professional jobs that said they found it difficult to find an appropriate mate once they got in their mid to late thirties. Another fact of life is that many HK men will have young ladies in China. Shenzhen and many other Guangdong cities being very convenient to HK makes that not uncommon. There are also thousands of young domestic helpers that are very interested in meeting men especially expats. Competition is fierce and temptation is everywhere. Men also go on trips all around the region in China, Thailand and the Philippines where once again, temptation is everywhere. You need to have trust, not be a jealous woman and have a relatively open mind when you live in a place like HK otherwise it can be upsetting. It's not in your face like in places like Pattaya or Angeles but it's definitely not the same as living in a western city. As a bonus, in HK like Singapore, you don't have to worry as much for your personal safety as you do in the US.
    Cos people don't cheat in the west right

Look men are men and women are women.

The only difference I find is that in HK it's done more in the open (you can actually bumped into someone you know with the wrong women for example) but temptation is everywhere in the world and men screw over the world over. not more or less in HK than in NYC or Paris or Sydney etc etc etc.
    rs4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Very loosely and depends a bit on the Uni in HK but:

Assistant Lecturer - entry level position - Master good enough
    Lecturer - phd not required but many have
    Senior Lecturer - phd not required but most have
    Associate Professor - phd required
    Professor - phd required
    Thanks! These are facts or just your opinion?

I really thank you for posting the links. However, just to be clear Ive done a thorough check and researched most colleges and post secondary facilities. The staff currently posted on the websites are assumed to be recent staff. These faculty are also all RNs, Im a NP aka a nurse practitioner. Hence relating back to my point that we do not have the same credentials. I havent found any faculty with credentials like mine. Meaning that when I got my masters degree I had it in nursing (very specific) and I do not think it is possible in HK. A RN is not the same as NP.

Last edited by Gababa88; 27-02-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Cos people don't cheat in the west right

Look men are men and women are women.

The only difference I find is that in HK it's done more in the open (you can actually bumped into someone you know with the wrong women for example) but temptation is everywhere in the world and men screw over the world over. not more or less in HK than in NYC or Paris or Sydney etc etc etc.
    Of course there's cheating everywhere but if you think it's the same here as it is in the West, you have your head in the sand. For younger attractive people, there isn't much difference but for an older less attractive male, it's a vastly different situation. I have seen many men become very different people in Asia particularly the ones that wouldn't have stood out much in their home cities and here they suddenly become attractive to young ladies. I have stopped counting the number of middle aged men that I have seen arriving here somewhat innocent and within a year, their lives start looking like Caligula's. One of the craziest one I remember is this guy that was a deacon in a smaller town, married with older kids when he got here. He resisted at for about a year but once he got a taste of the dark side, look out Darth Vader. Bit sad really because wife and kids are now gone and wants nothing to do with him and he's heading for an early grave in my opinion.

Your local rugby/football/golf/hockey team is not going to have an annual tour to Thailand or the Philippines either when you're in a western city and people generally will have less money to burn.

That's the biggest difference in HK, if a somewhat less attractive and/or older ladies move here, the competition will be fierce to find a mate. For a man, it's the complete opposite and opportunities will be everywhere and there are choices that would simply not be readily available in most western cities.
    Last edited by Golem; 27-02-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gababa88
    can you specify "not great at looking after themselves", I found that interesting. You think traditional HK males would be intimidated by independent women or just not attracted to independent women? You have such interesting outlook.. I'm intrigued.
    I agree with Golem but think that local guys are not attracted to independent women rather than being intimidated. Locals have slightly different expectations of relationships and I've found that once they are a couple, they are totally dependent on each other (i.e. no life). So local girls tend to be quite clingy and local guys can be quite possessive.

I've dated local girls and they often expect to spend all their free time together and are often at a loss when i go out to see my friends and they have no plans themselves.

On the other hand, I've dated British girls (and BBCs/ABCs) too and sometimes they can be too independent i.e. we just ended up doing our own thing and there was no point being in a relationship.

@Gababa88 Lucky you. I wonder how many guys have inboxed you for a date by now? Enjoy!

Mat and Gababa88 like this.

@Gababa88 sorry I haven't read this whole thread. I think Mat is about right about the position. A lecturer position will likely be on a fixed-term contract. Often universities here hire Lecturers on a part-time basis, which would not be good for you as you need to be sponsored for a visa (right?), but there are full-time Lecturer positions, too. Lecturers generally do the bulk of the teaching work and it is not a tenured track position, but once you got your foot in the door with a particular department, you would be able to keep your eyes out for better, more senior positions to move up (like a tenured track position or a Research Assistant Professor position).

I think if you're working in a university environment, you'll have good chances to meet a variety of like-minded people, so socially it can be very good for you on the whole. I have found university departments, though, to be a little cold and antisocial. Very professional and down-to-business, not getting lunch together, etc. But you can change this, too, and this was just my experience and not always the case! The bureaucracy churning the wheels of the academic institutions here can be an absolute nightmare at times, so don't expect to get questions answered clearly, but things will still chug along regardless. This problem can sometimes be down to a language barrier (for me), so not sure if someone has some ability with Mandarin would have fewer problems.

As an expat, not-single woman, I have found it easier to get out and socialize in Hong Kong compared to other cities, because there is a population of several hundred thousand in this boat. No matter what stereotypes are true or not, there are plenty of opportunities to do different things here. Yes, there are still some old-fashioned ideas about male roles, both in the workplace and in personal situations, and I've been surprised how commonly people still refer to things like: "When the housewife goes shopping, she can... ". I think you'll encounter that, too, in your profession, like others have mentioned.

It's a crowded place, though. Must have a tolerance for crowds and lack of spacious areas, but if you have access to a family condo in Stanley it sounds like you're off to a good start, heh...

Quote Originally Posted by gigglinggal
    @Gababa88 Lucky you. I wonder how many guys have inboxed you for a date by now? Enjoy!
    Oh was I supposed to do it via PM? My bad.
    hullexile and gigglinggal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gigglinggal
    What's the quality like on GeoExpat?
    gigglinggal likes this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7