Like Tree1Likes

Bringing golf clubs to HK? Where to play?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bringing golf clubs to HK? Where to play?

Hi all.
    My monthly question coming up ?
    Is it worthwhile bringing golf clubs to Hong Kong ? I was looking at some clubs and it seems very expensive to play there.
    Don't want to bring the clubs and then they just take up space !!!
    Is there any affordable way of playing or even going to a driving range ?
    Thanks guys !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Chappy:
    Hi all.
    My monthly question coming up ?
    Is it worthwhile bringing golf clubs to Hong Kong ? I was looking at some clubs and it seems very expensive to play there.
    Don't want to bring the clubs and then they just take up space !!!
    Is there any affordable way of playing or even going to a driving range ?
    Thanks guys !!!
    Public Golf course in San Kung:

https://www.kscgolf.org.hk/index-e.asp

Thanks - that sounds reasonable for about 800$ during the week. We are planning to live on South Lantau. Its a long way to get there !!!!

They all sound very nice courses - just where far to get to !!!

You can easily drive some golf balls into the ocean off the Southern Lantau coast. Doesn't seem any different from a driving range.

DrWho likes this.

There are plenty of opportunities to play, it just depends how much you are prepared to pay and how far you want to go. Typically golf in these parts is a full days outing, people don't play fast so it's often 5 hour rounds and it can easily be a couple of hours to get there. There's the public course and a few members only course where you can get invited or you can sometimes rent debentures, the China ones can be cheap, the ones in HK more expensive. I know someone that was renting one for about 8-9K per month in DB. Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and of course China are also good golf destination but it's never all that cheap especially if you tack in caddies(compulsory in many places), tips, cart if you use it(sometimes compulsory) and transportation.

Thanks - Just trying to figure out if I should bring my clubs !!! Maybe I check out the scene first.
    Is there some sort of a golf community one could join around and follow in the beginning. I have seen there is many meet up groups about everything but have not seen any for golfers !!

There are several golf societies in HK like BIg and Little Sai Wan. If you do a search, you will find a long list with contact numbers. Some are private clubs, others more open. Depending how fussy/serious you are, you can pick up a set of copy clubs in Shenzhen for very very cheap. Used to be between 1 and 2K for everything. If you're handicap 15-20 or above and don't have too much swing speed, you might like them. I know people that bought these clubs, played with them a bit and resold them for a profit on trips back home.

Clubs for rent at Kau Sai Chau island public golf, but to play there you must produce a golf handicap card, showing that you can play the game with some finesse. And most likely you can only walk-in some day, and never book a time coz of various rules related to the massive time demands on the public course. You will be charged a premium of HK$200 coz you have no HK ID card.
    You may learn more here : https://www.kscgolf.org.hk/index-e.asp

And also near Sai Kung is Garden Farm golf driving range. Also can rent clubs but not cheaply. Can book a time slot but not easy due to time demands of 7+ million people on so few golf facilities.

Going to China for golf possible if you have a China visa. Golf in China also expensive.

There's a golf place in Waterfall gym in Olympic MTR station if that helps

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast