Like Tree37Likes

30K HKD / Month. Single man from UK, budget help please

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

You can easily get by with HK$15K for food, entertainment and utilities for a single guy, if you are sensible about it.

You can get a super small room+bath for as low as 4-6k. You can rent a room in a flat. Hung Hom is ok but for newbies to HK try HK island. Causeway bay, central, Kennedy town. Wait until you arrive before you do anything. Absolutely do not send money to someone. Confirm their identify and check ownership of the property. Don't get scammed.

AminEttay likes this.

There is a thread about the modern cage homes in the "everything else" forum lower down.

If you are single, don't have much with you, up for meeting new people, don't stay at home that often... that could help save money on rent.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBond:
    He just needs to keep eating at Ebenezeers! Great chicken falafels. Curry too. Cheap. Also Pret-a-Manger. Love the cheap Thai place in Wan Chai, Thai Hut.
    Alternatively, he could try something revolutionary like making his own food... I eat out a couple of times in a week usually lunch and that's it. I spend less than 10K/month including weekly golf.
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Alternatively, he could try something revolutionary like making his own food... I eat out a couple of times in a week usually lunch and that's it. I spend less than 10K/month including weekly golf.
    Plebian.

Awesome responses thanks, really good to get an insight into what 'normal' people are spending, which I way less than I feared.

Realistically I'll probably grab a cheap lunch out most days and split eating at home / eating out (on the cheap) about 50/50 in the week.

Thanks on accommodation suggestions too, not sure if I'm into this cage-living thing so I'll probably look to spend 8-10K on an apartment share. Seems like most people suggest I start out on HK Island so I'll see what quality of shares I can get there for my budget, although I suspect a gym / club house might be out of reach!

Any more thoughts / comments on budget would be really welcome and suggestions on good neighborhoods for younger expats also.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by BailingEast:
    Awesome responses thanks, really good to get an insight into what 'normal' people are spending, which I way less than I feared.

Realistically I'll probably grab a cheap lunch out most days and split eating at home / eating out (on the cheap) about 50/50 in the week.

Thanks on accommodation suggestions too, not sure if I'm into this cage-living thing so I'll probably look to spend 8-10K on an apartment share. Seems like most people suggest I start out on HK Island so I'll see what quality of shares I can get there for my budget, although I suspect a gym / club house might be out of reach!

Any more thoughts / comments on budget would be really welcome and suggestions on good neighborhoods for younger expats also.

Cheers!
    Keep in mind that building with facilities like gyms have higher management fees which are passed on to tenants through the rents. In higher end building they range from about 2HK/sq ft to over 5HK in posher developments There are plenty of fitness rooms available with the leisure department for just under 200HKD/month. You can also run on tracks for free and at Happy Valley, there's an outdoor exercise park with bars where you can do pull ups/dips type of exercise for free. Swimming at the beaches also free and there are several leisure department pools available. Fairly easy to join sports leagues for a variety of sports at a reasonable price too.
    z754103 and UK/HKboy like this.

I personally think people are underselling the actual costs, especially as a young guy who wants to go out abd have fun. Your salary is going to be a challenge imo. I agree that you can find a place with roommates for 10kish but then everything else adds up abd you still need to save for the unexpected or when you need new shoes or some dress shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripsearching:
    I personally think people are underselling the actual costs, especially as a young guy who wants to go out abd have fun. Your salary is going to be a challenge imo. I agree that you can find a place with roommates for 10kish but then everything else adds up abd you still need to save for the unexpected or when you need new shoes or some dress shirts.
    I think if he tries to party with the senior bankers then yes, it is underselling costs somewhat. But i remember when i moved to HK and i was only making 13k a month (that was 10 years ago, but still low).

Unless the guy is totally irresponsible, he should be able to adapt. Before, me and my friends would drink at home first, then go out to clubs. And even then, it would be the ones with no cover charges, or where friends knew ppl who could bring us in. When we went on holidays, we took the trains/buses, stayed in hostels.

with 30k, he can live a bit better, but just not popping a bottle of champagne every weekend.
    jmbf likes this.

I lived on Lamma Island for a couple of years and you can rent your own floor of a village house within your budget. It's 25 mins ferry to central and a nice place with beaches, affordable restaurants, cafes and shops. Check it out maybe.

Also you'll find some people your age there and it isn't a place full of rich bankers so you might get a group of friends who don't just drink $100 beers in central

jmbf likes this.