Like Tree12Likes

ESF vs Shrewsbury

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ESF vs Shrewsbury

We are planning our move with our 5 yr old daughter and 6 month old son. Anyone have views on ESF school (Kennedy) vs the newly opening British international school Shrewsbury? ESF is on the island which is easier commute wise but it does have large class size plus it is IB. However Shrewsbury is new so no prior record to be found re the school. Any views are appreciated!

I can't comment on these two schools, but generally speaking, you should be casting a wider net. Applying to only two schools may work out for you (I hope it does), but it seems like all the locals here love ESF.

With ESF, you are looking at a network of schools long established in HK with a good reputation. Shrewsbury is part of the new wave of schools trying to bank on the name and heritage like Harrow, Dulwich, Malvern and so on and they are opening establishments in many big asian markets. I would definitely be more wary of them and because it's a new school, it will also likely have a less established clientele. Locals are well known to play musical chairs with school placement until they get to the one they want which isn't always easy. Kellett would probably be a safer bet if you want the British experience.

Kellett is one of the schools of choice amongst my friends and colleagues. Chinese International School and Canadian International School being the other two, but they are less useful if you only plan to stay a couple of years and need to reintegrate your children into a UK system, if that is where you are moving from. Obviously there are other international schools which align to the respective school system of various countries which are generally pretty good (Australia, German-Swiss etc) if you are from elsewhere. The ESF schools are generally well regarded and very popular too. I don't know a single Western expat who sends their children to the new wave of schools, only locals and Mainland Chinese, though I'm sure some must do.

If you have read some of the other posts on schooling and relocation on this forum you will know that nearly all international schools, including ESF are very heavily over-subscribed and you can't guarantee you will get into your school of choice. If you can get a corporate debenture it will really help. Hopefully you will also be aware that the ESF schools (though not the kinders) mostly have catchment areas and you can only usually apply for the one in the zone you are/expect to be living in.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Shrewsbury is part of the new wave of schools trying to bank on the name and heritage like Harrow, Dulwich, Malvern and so on and they are opening establishments in many big asian markets.
    Worth noting that many of these schools are franchises and owned and operated by the parent establishments.

@Riceball - worth noting that Kennedy, as Mr Goon pointed out is an IB curriculum school (PYP). IB (PYP, MYP especially) schools define and have a lot of lattitude as to what is taught and how it is taught.

If you're looking at moving back to where ever you're moving from then you might also want to look at schools which teach your national curriculum - australian, canadian, american, german, french, japanese, british (kellett / harrow / nord anglia I think) and a others...

Most of the established intl schools have waitlists and I suspect you're past the normal applications dates. You also do want to check with your HR department if any assistance is available from them in the form of corporate debentures or school placement consultants (agencies who will call around, find which schools have openings etc etc).

ESF is on the island which is easier commute
    In general, unless you have housing already setup for you, people will move closer to the schools and make the commute easier for the kids - school bus zones might be a factor in selecting where you want to live. Again, if you're lucky, your company might be able to offer some assistance and guidance.
    Last edited by shri; 09-03-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

IMO, for a five year old, in addition to looking at curricula, I would be asking schools what percentage of ESL students they enroll and the diversity of the student body. These were personal criteria for us (we also have a 5 year old daughter), as we wanted our kid to be exposed to a range of languages and cultures. Some of these schools (ESF included) are very ethically/racially homogenous. Some schools also have a large percentage of students that don't speak English as their primary language. Pros and cons with this situation... I won't go into them.

Good luck!

...schools trying to bank on the name and heritage...
    The same could be said of ESF, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:
    The same could be said of ESF, no?
    Not really, they've been established in HK for years and years, they are not establishing new outposts that are not always well managed and using brand name recognition as the attraction. Dulwich in Phuket for example was a bit of a disaster and they eventually parted ways and the school changed names.

Not really, they've been established in HK for years and years, they are not establishing new outposts that are not always well managed and using brand name recognition as the attraction. Dulwich in Phuket for example was a bit of a disaster and they eventually parted ways and the school changed names.
    Yes, but ESF is a brand, and with all branding, there is a neoliberal function or component (not saying this is necessarily bad)... It's just what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Riceball:
    We are planning our move with our 5 yr old daughter and 6 month old son. Anyone have views on ESF school (Kennedy) vs the newly opening British international school Shrewsbury? ESF is on the island which is easier commute wise but it does have large class size plus it is IB. However Shrewsbury is new so no prior record to be found re the school. Any views are appreciated!
    Have you only been offered a place at Kennedy? It's a big school, and we didn't particularly care for it. The other ESF schools on the island are better.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast