Like Tree47Likes

Getting transferred to HK with 35k net salary

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yuen Long is a great place to live - very vibrant and with a reasonably large South Asian community too from what I have seen. If you like outdoors, plenty of hiking and beaches in HK for entertainment when not working for free. You can certainly make that work if you are willing to compromise on space and location for your career and with a wife as a banker she should find work when ready. Best of luck. Note that HK is also pretty racist, so brace yourself for that.

Eva C likes this.

Agree you'll come across racism. However, there is no risk to your safety. More like police asking for your ID because they suspect you're here illegally or locals saying dumb stuff. I'm sure some South Asian expats on here can provide more info.

Some Grand Yoho apartments (above MTR) go for around 13K for 450 sq. ft.

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Agree you'll come across racism. However, there is no risk to your safety. More like police asking for your ID because they suspect you're here illegally or locals saying dumb stuff. I'm sure some South Asian expats on here can provide more info.
    I honestly have never faced racism here at all. As long as you are clean/neat, people give respect. And keep in mind, I am from India as well. Matter of fact, I find it easier to get along with locals than Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by Srashes:
    I honestly have never faced racism here at all. As long as you are clean/neat, people give respect. And keep in mind, I am from India as well. Matter of fact, I find it easier to get along with locals than Indians.
    Yes, i've noticed some discrimination is about class more than race.

If you wear a nice suit, shirt, rolex... you won't get bothered (unless it is robbers stealing your watch, lol). If you wear flip flops, shorts, torn dirty shirt, they will think you are here illegally.

Original Post Deleted
    The OP is Indian i think, so he will be a competitor on their turf...

i suggest your wife have a job as well. Just 35K for a third-person family is not enough especially in housing, educational (non-subsidy kindergarten) and taxing side. If your wife is on work that will be easier for a better survive in hong kong~

Quote Originally Posted by Srashes:
    Likely you'll run into a landlord who is a bit racist -- not sure where else it would be obvious.

I'm going to disagree with most people above about the cost of living and savings.

Just last week I saw a brand new apartment for rent next to Long Ping MTR station (Next to Yuen Long) for 12500 HKD for 480 sq.ft. You can get 700 sq.ft. village house further out for 10k. These are all negotiable of course.

As stated above. Tax will be in the hundreds per year, not thousands. You will have to put 1500 per month into the MPF scheme though.

As for basic food and living costs, 10k should be enough if you eat at home and cook with ingredients readily available locally.

The big, big (and a few more bigs) cost will be schooling. You'd really have to research what you actually want in this area as costs vary dramatically.

You missed the Indian guys that come up to you and say, “You have a lucky face”. Then they want to follow you. Have had this a few times.