Health Insurance

Smile Health Insurance

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has info I need on health insurance. I'd be really grateful

I'm spending some time in HK on a tourist VISA and I know that you can visit a doctor for a small fee, but I am worried about being covered for more serious treatment/accidents in hospitals. I'm a yound and healthy guy, who practically never goes to the doctor in my home country, but you never know. Presumably I would not have access to public health services?

What I really want to know, is if I could buy a private health insurance coverage in HK (like BUPA) on tourist VISA? Or, would I have to take out travel insurance in my own country to cover me for accidents etc.

Any input is appreciated!

Well, the insurance company will need to know your country of permanent residence, as most of them have different premium rates for different areas of the world. I think that if you cannot provide a permanent address in HK, then they will need you to provide a permanent address in your home country. Otherwise, i don't think there is any other problem with actually doing the application whilst you are in HK. If you go through a broker, you should advise them of your situation so that they can arrange to have all of the documents now and in the future, sent to whichever correspondance address you choose. Remember that the insurance is an annual contract, though you could choose to pay monthly ( premium may include a small increase for monthly payments) and just stop paying the premiums whenever you want to. The policy will simply lapse due to non payment of premium.

Travel insurance would be a viable alternative. Remember that most travel insurance sold in HK requires trips to at least begin in HK and some of them require the trip to finish in HK. Some have a one-way option if required. I only know of one (Federal) who will consider trips which start and end outside of HK, though this is by special request.

You should speak to a broker who can advise you the best options if you decide that you really need to get insurance.

Otherwise, if you are not staying in HK for too long i agree that the local system is more than adequate. You can visit the A&E department of the public hospitals for anything more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by HKLozzo:
    Otherwise, if you are not staying in HK for too long i agree that the local system is more than adequate. You can visit the A&E department of the public hospitals for anything more serious.
    As a tourist, am I able to visit A&E in the same way somebody with an ID card can?

Is there a small/heavily subsidised fee for hospital treatment like this for locas and tourists alike, or is treatment free? Or would it actually cost me the full cost due to being a tourist?

I am not picky when it comes to healthcare, I just need to know I am covered. In otherwords, I am not asking questions about private insurance because I need that level of care, I am asking because I am trying to work out if I need such insurance to be covered at all.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

As non-eligible persons, tourists pay full whack.

Fees and Charges for Public Health Care Services

Of that, i can't be sure. I know that for a doctor consultation ( like GP ), there is a different charge for HK ID card holders and visitors. Can't remember the difference though.

For Public Hospitals, not sure. I only visited once before and was asked to show my HK ID and pay a fee ( HKD100 ? ). That included triage, consultation and an x-ray. It seems likely that there would be a different set of fees for non HK ID card holders though.

Someone else on the board probably knows more detail than i do.

Ha ha..Claire ex-ax arrived as prescribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Confused_Gwailo:
    As a tourist, am I able to visit A&E in the same way somebody with an ID card can?

Is there a small/heavily subsidised fee for hospital treatment like this for locas and tourists alike, or is treatment free? Or would it actually cost me the full cost due to being a tourist?

I am not picky when it comes to healthcare, I just need to know I am covered. In otherwords, I am not asking questions about private insurance because I need that level of care, I am asking because I am trying to work out if I need such insurance to be covered at all.
    You can visit A&E but you will be charged. ID card holders pay $100 per visit and those without ID card are charged $570 I believe. In patients again are $100 per day for ID card holders and $3,300 for non ID card holders. These figures may have got higher, I'm sure someone will have an up to date charges list.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    As non-eligible persons, tourists pay full whack.

Fees and Charges for Public Health Care Services
    Great resource! Posted before I even pressed the Submit Reply button!