Like Tree35Likes

A little help to a prospect expat with young family!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

By way of a suggestion, look at The Merton in Kennedy Town. Small flats but for a small family fairly typical for HK. And dogs are allowed.

Another option but definitely less expat oriented is South Horizons. 15 min by road to Cyberport and on the MTR.

Both can do 2-3 bed 600 sq ft for under 35k.

thinkingofhk likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    most of the expats in my development work as Domestic Helpers, and live with Chinese families. that's largely who you meant, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:

I don’t know how parents raise kids here. It would be very difficult for a child to walk around comfortably here, let alone a parent moving around with a pram if they have toddlers.

I would definitely not consider Hong Kong if I had family.

I've said this many times before - HK is a great place to raise kids.
    The one big exception is the air quality. (Which, I get it, it's big - to use an American expression, it's approaching 'Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?' territory).

Otherwise:
    tons of other kids around to play with; lots of trains and constructions sites to watch; many playgrounds; a generally family-friendly society; easy to raise multilingual kids here; very low rates of interpersonal violence; mountains to take kids hiking...

it's not perfect, but no place is. there are a lot of pluses here, for being a kid, or raising one.
    z754103 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    You said, "definition of the expat." I'm thinking FDH qualify... seeing as they're not local, but are living here and working here. But, if you can prove that they're not expats, I'll hear you out.

(Hint: I think "expat" is a weird term and not that simple...)
    chingleutsch and Kowloon Goon like this.

Original Post Deleted
    yeah, on this I do agree.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, you're underground, in a man-made tunnel, forced to walk for 5-10 minutes looking at advertising and solid-color plastic panels. What a joy in life. Best to lock ourselves up indoors -- that sure as heck beats being outside where you can see a vast variety of interesting, living things.

This is exactly the problem I have with Hong Kong. It's really a sad situation for kids being locked up in shopping malls to "learn".

About the travelling time to and from work, i would count it as part of work since it is a consideration you have to make. I would rather take just 30 minutes to get to work rather than 60 minutes. That is 30 minutes that you could be doing something more productive (i don't want to nap, watch dramas or play computer games on the bus or mtr!) and it adds up - over 200 extra hours a year.

About the long tunnel in the MTR stations. For most of the year when it is really hot or humid or wet, i would rather walk indoors in the tunnel than outdoors. Its like 5 - 10 minutes to get somewhere. It's not the end of the world.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4