Like Tree6Likes

Moving to HK with a Dog

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to HK with a Dog

Hello Everyone,

My husband has been offered a job in Hong Kong and we move in July of this year. So our family is going too. We already spoke and researched a few pet relocation agencies to get our Husky, Arrow over too.
    A little bit about us: We are currently in Switzerland, and a year before that we were in Mainland China for 2 years. We brought Arrow over to Switzerland from mainland China on our own with ease. And now we are prepping him to go over to Hong Kong! (A bit excited!). We are happy to go back to Asia! When we moved to Switzerland we were assigned accomadation so we had an address before we even left mainland China.
    Here is were my worry sets in, since this time we need to find our own accommodation after we arrive. My husband will drop me and Arrow off at the airport and we will be leaving FIRST. He will then drive to the uk to drop off our car (he is a U.K citizen) then he will fly out of the UK to Hong Kong a few days after. which means I will arrive in Hong Kong with Arrow and no place to stay. His work will provide temporary accommodation through a hotel until we find a place to rent. I guess what I’m worried about is not having an actual address before we get there and the first few days I’m alone.
    has anyone else brought their dog with them to Hong Kong? How did you find rental apartments? (I.e before you arrived with your pet? After?) we have a general idea where we want to stay and contacted a few agencies (I know, super early). I’m worried that because we don’t have an address that customs might hold onto him?
    so a mix of nerves and also it’s 2:36am here and maybe that is contributing to me venting out to a forum. Anyways, I love to here your experiences! Thanks again,

sincerley,
    Misyga

Recommend staying in a serviced apartment until you've decided where you want to live.

Chi Residences welcomes pets

CHI Residences

Don't rent a flat without seeing it. So many people do this and end up being disappointed.

Misyga likes this.

I'd move heaven and earth to avoid flying your husky into Hong Kong in July. I was faced with a similar situation of moving to HKG on August 1st. Decided to leave the dog behind until the weather was cooler and we found an apartment and got it set up to some extent. That meant leaving the dog with relatives for nearly three months which was not ideal but exactly how I'd do it if I had to do it again.

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    I'd move heaven and earth to avoid flying your husky into Hong Kong in July. I was faced with a similar situation of moving to HKG on August 1st. Decided to leave the dog behind until the weather was cooler and we found an apartment and got it set up to some extent. That meant leaving the dog with relatives for nearly three months which was not ideal but exactly how I'd do it if I had to do it again.
    I would have done this too but unfortunately both of us are expats here in Switzerland and we have no family to have someone watch him there. All of our work friends are also leaving Switzerland the same time. I’m originally from the U.S and he is from the UK and the only family he has is not equipped to take care of him for Any length of time to wait for the weather to cool and for meeting the import requirements (Not that I would trust them anyway, they have difficulties taking care of a cat) So my plan is to keep him in the AC for as long as possible from airport straight to hotel. He’s lived through a shanghai summer, and we work and adapt his needs around the weather. Meaning no outside during the day, only early mornings and when the sun goes down. I would assume Hong Kong weather is similar to shanghai? Very humid and hot.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Misyga:
    I would have done this too but unfortunately both of us are expats here in Switzerland and we have no family to have someone watch him there. All of our work friends are also leaving Switzerland the same time. I’m originally from the U.S and he is from the UK and the only family he has is not equipped to take care of him for Any length of time to wait for the weather to cool and for meeting the import requirements (Not that I would trust them anyway, they have difficulties taking care of a cat) So my plan is to keep him in the AC for as long as possible from airport straight to hotel. He’s lived through a shanghai summer, and we work and adapt his needs around the weather. Meaning no outside during the day, only early mornings and when the sun goes down. I would assume Hong Kong weather is similar to shanghai? Very humid and hot.
    Hong Kong is hotter than Shanghai. I'm sure you'll monitor all the variables within your control to keep you pooch as safe and comfortable as possible . . . my concern is something out of your hands, like the dog being left on the hot tarmac for a while during transport to you.

Well they better not with the money we paid for both export and Import where they have gaurenteed me first off and into an AC control van and NOT left on tarmac. Of course, they could not, and break their agreement and something to happen. But we do no have the luxury for me to stay with him in another country for 5-6 months waiting for the weather and import regulations to then finally come over. Also picking specific flights for him (such as NOT landing mid day) is within our control to prevent any over heat that is beyond our control.

Hong Kong is hotter than Shanghai
    also I am not sure where you got your information from. But a quick google average for the month of July for Shanghai and Hong Kong, shanghai is hotter. But their difference is insignificant. So they are about the same.
    TheBrit likes this.

Isn't it a bit cruel to bring a Husky to Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!:
    Well, cruel implies “wilfully causing pain or suffering to others, or feeling no concern about it” I am not causing pain or suffering to my dog. Sure, it is not an ideal climate, but he adapts. It’s not like shaving him to bring risks for his skin or over heating. I am taking all the necessary precautions to make his life comfortable.

-Flying at an appropriate time so that he doesn’t land at the hottest part of the day.
    -making sure there is someone there to load him off the plane an into an AC van that will take him to the terminals.
    -making sure he has sufficient water supply and even frozen water to help last to the end of the trip.
    -for the rest of the stay here, adapting my schedule around his needs to make sure he is given enough mental and physical stimulation so he can be tired.
    He is part of our family and we will not leave him behind. As an owner, it is our responsibility to try and make the best of our situation for him in a responsible manner. Yes, life was “easier” for everyone living in the snow, but doesn’t mean he can’t enjoy life in Hong Kong. There is no cruelty involved unless I was ignorant and didn’t research and informed myself to make me an irresponsible owner.
    chuckster007 and GeoTommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!:
    Is it better to dump the dog in the country they are leaving, put it to sleep or ???? isnt that cruel also??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast