Like Tree25Likes

Can't decide between: Jardine's Lookout, Happy Valley, Tai Hang, Braemar Hill

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Personally, they're all good areas and are just 5-10 mins away from each other. I would base my decision on the flat.

This is true, they're all fairly close to one another. Just was wondering if any people with experience living in these other areas might have some insider insight that might be helpful in making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    OK then if you don't have requirement about which school and no requirement on facilities, then I would go with the flat you like/property you like. All these area are fine. Tai Hang is becoming "Hot" (lots of people moving there around me as far as I can tell, HV has always been one of my favorite for its "village" feel.Go for the best flat you can get - would be my choice at least.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Mat!

I do actually live in lower Tai Hang and can see what you mean by "hot".

It seems like there might not be all that much separating these "neighbourhoods" as far as pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I have a friend who lives in Braemar Hill and apparently there are traffic issues during the school year due to Chinese International School as many of the students there are picked up in private cars.

This is rather insightful. Good point as Cloud View Road is pretty narrow as is and the primary artery for getting into either CWB or NP. I imagine a lot of bus congestion as well!

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    Where do you live now? 35m gives you alot of choice in the market.

A small flat in lower Tai Hang. There are some nice places in the area, but was curious whether living in Jardine's Lookout or Happy Valley or Braemar Hill had any real advantages/disadvantages or any uniqueness about them. Seems like they're all fairly similar - save for Happy Valley being more developed and closer to CWB.

Size? What's your trade off between first rate facilities vs size/layout?

At that budget my two top picks in Happy Valley would be (1) Leighton Hill. Seen as top estate with luxurious facilities, greenery and v convenient location. At your budget you'll be looking at one of the smaller flats. (2) Winfield Building on Ventris has decent facilities and nice size. Layout, size, room flow etc all feel a lot better than comparable Leighton Hill flats of similar price. The interiors just feel more thoughtfully designed for pleasant living vs how many flats can I carve out of this block and wring more profit out of a captive buyer base. Note you'd be at the very bottom end in terms of price range in Winfield Terrace but you could get lucky if a lower floor flat comes up for sale.

Many people love Pacific Palisades in Braemar hill. More green, peace and quiet vs Happy Valley but I find transport inconvenient. Having a car would probably make life a lot more convenient if you live there. So trade off - do you want to be somewhere green and quieter or able to walk everywhere within a vibrant local community with more noise and light pollution.

I'm assuming your budget is HKD35M in total, not downpayment of 35M, right?

Buying a carpark will soak up a nice chunk of that budget.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    Size? What's your trade off between first rate facilities vs size/layout?

At that budget my two top picks in Happy Valley would be (1) Leighton Hill. Seen as top estate with luxurious facilities, greenery and v convenient location. At your budget you'll be looking at one of the smaller flats. (2) Winfield Building on Ventris has decent facilities and nice size. Layout, size, room flow etc all feel a lot better than comparable Leighton Hill flats of similar price. The interiors just feel more thoughtfully designed for pleasant living vs how many flats can I carve out of this block and wring more profit out of a captive buyer base. Note you'd be at the very bottom end in terms of price range in Winfield Terrace but you could get lucky if a lower floor flat comes up for sale.

Many people love Pacific Palisades in Braemar hill. More green, peace and quiet vs Happy Valley but I find transport inconvenient. Having a car would probably make life a lot more convenient if you live there. So trade off - do you want to be somewhere green and quieter or able to walk everywhere within a vibrant local community with more noise and light pollution.

I'm assuming your budget is HKD35M in total, not downpayment of 35M, right?
    Yes, 35M is the budget, not downpayment.

I mentioned it before but top notch facilities are not a requirement. I'd actually prefer not to be mired in big monthly management fees.

I had a viewing at Pacific Palisades and I can see the appeal for some people. The unit in question was roughly 900 sq ft saleable, 4 rooms, 2 bathrooms at 28M. However, the unit itself would require an entire overhaul as it was done up in a tremendously tacky way (wallpaper on the ceiling even!) and while renovation work is not terribly expensive, I'm not sure I have the patience for a total makeover.

I'll take a peak at Leighton Hill though!

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Buying a carpark will soak up a nice chunk of that budget.
    Yes, it potentially could. But I've noticed with most units I'm looking at include the carpark.

Quote Originally Posted by outkast_3000:
    Yes, it potentially could. But I've noticed with most units I'm looking at include the carpark.
    And they're worth it. Even if you don't have a car, you can rent it out.

About the Pacific Palisades property you described - I personally think its overpriced. Similar sized properties in older buildings in Mid Levels for less / sq ft (as a benchmark) and also in our area in Pok Fu Lam.

Be prepared for a 3-4 month overhaul if you're looking at doing a renovation - more if you're looking at doing proper tear down / refurb which might include combining some rooms.

I live in Tai Hang and it’s very quiet - close to silent at night, even when it’s cooler / no air con background noise. Ten minutes walk down steps to Tin Hau MTR, and surprisingly easy to get taxis (never waited more than 5 minutes)

shri, outkast_3000 and Skyhook like this.