Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Titus
  • 1 Post By MandM!
  • 1 Post By Tyresmoke

Renting a parking space

Closed Thread
    oldenuf2nobeta

Renting a parking space

Has anyone got any leads for Gold Coast area?

many thanks

Original Post Deleted

I'm not sure what regulates this, perhaps the DMC?

But I do know that there are different requirements such as:

1) Freely own and rent, all have access
    2) Freely own, access to registered tenants only
    3) Own only if you own a real estate unit in the same estate
    --> But if you owned a flat + parking and sold the flat, could you be forced to sell the parking or foreclosed on?
    --> Access could be either all access or limited to registered tenants only

To get around the registered tenant only rule -- A person living in an estate could register an extra octopus card and in theory give it to the person renting the car parking space.

Then the problems with car plates. Whether any car can park in your space or if it must have a registered plate (some allow 1 registered plate, some allow 2). Some estates let any car park in the space. I think it looks a bit tacky to have the plate numbers written on the ground.

I'm guessing one potential problem is IF the car must be registered in the same name as the person who owns the parking space. But I don't think it goes this far.

I don't live on the Gold Coast, but in my building they write the plate numbers on the space and you need to use a special little remote control thingy to get past the boom gates,rather than the octopus card. They checked that I was a tenant and wanted to see my car registration document. Perhaps other buildings are less uptight.

Not Gold Coast, but I rented a parking space in a residential apartment block in Wanchai (not living there) with no problems.
    All above board, registered lease/ contract, found for me by a property letting agency

Quote Originally Posted by Tyresmoke:
    Not Gold Coast, but I rented a parking space in a residential apartment block in Wanchai (not living there) with no problems.
    All above board, registered lease/ contract, found for me by a property letting agency
    Simply depends on both whatever the DMC says, and what's enforced. There is no one fits all and rules vary by building.

Thank you
    Original Post Deleted
    for the information!

oldenuf2nobeta

Thanks for the replies, I was looking more to contact property management company’s more then individuals

Quote Originally Posted by oldenuf2nobeta:
    Thanks for the replies, I was looking more to contact property management company’s more then individuals
    Not really the best channel. The property management companies that I can think of rip off consumers usually because they hold a monopoly and can charge double normal rates!
    Titus likes this.

Try 28hse.com (restrict search to "Car Park") or carparkhk.com

Or on Facebook search Carpark Hong Kong 香港車位網 (cut and paste), you might need a translator if you can't read Chinese though.

Last edited by Titus; 11-04-2018 at 09:20 AM.
    Tyresmoke likes this.

[QUOTE=Titus;3563000]Try 28hse.com (restrict search to "Car Park") or carparkhk.com

Great advice, thanks, especially carparkhk.com has a great selection, even when zeroed in to a small target area

Titus likes this.