Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Elegiaque
  • 1 Post By MandM!

leaving furniture behind?

Closed Thread

leaving furniture behind??

We are moving to Hong Kong this summer from China. We have a few pieces of furniture--bunk beds and two bookshelves--that we don't know if we should pay to move or not (we have a small moving allowance). We will be moving somewhere in the New Territories. Are apartments in HK usually furnished or unfurnished? I don't care too much about the bookshelves, but the bunk beds are really nice quality and allow for a good storage area on the unused top bunk!

Well, if they are furnished the quality of the furniture will probably be terrible. And it's likely to be ugly.

Finding secondhand furniture is pretty easy in HK. You've still got to arrange to move it though.

What kind of quality are we talking?

I mean the problem in hk and even changing flats in hk is whether the furniture will fit or not. Space is tight, and if it isn't tight then you are surely to have a problem with the lift or hallways.

If patient you can find excellent second hand furniture here on the expat websites. I used to wait for the 50k pieces of furniture and pick them up for 2-5k each plus 1000 for a 5.5 ton truck delivery.

So I personally wouldn't bring furniture to HK unless you came here first, measured then decide if it's worth it. I'm guessing shipping would cost more than getting something the fits here in hk. Then if you paid all those shipping cost and they say it can't fit through a door or the hallway is too narrow, you're going to be pissed!

Now my house is full!! So I don't look anymore. Ha

NateM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Well, if they are furnished the quality of the furniture will probably be terrible. And it's likely to be ugly.

Finding secondhand furniture is pretty easy in HK. You've still got to arrange to move it though.
    Agree. Chinese landlords like crystal lights and brown furniture and sticky leather. Not my taste!!

And landlords get very angry if you want to change a light. Don't understand but I think lighting is probably the most sensitive topic when renting a flat here. Ask for a discount, ask for new paint, but don't ask to remove or change a light!!

Thanks. This is helpful in making our decision!

Apartments are usually unfurnished, I would think more so in the NT. If you like it, bring it but you can sell it if it doesn't work in your new apartment here. When buying second hand furniture you can use the GogoVan or lalamove, it's like uber for van/moving service. Very easy to use.

z754103 likes this.

I think you should check with your Landlord whether the flat is furnished and if it is ask them to send you photos, before you decide what to do.

I'm thinking to buy 2hand furniture when I'm in HK, I think the cost to buy furniture will be less than to move them from China unless you'd like something from the old home.