Like Tree37Likes

Losing umbrella - rain in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Flipflops or wellies for feet.

Umbrellas - supply at both work and home and don't forget to keep the supply balanced.

Towel at work - nothing worse than getting a bit damp and entering arctic-like air-conditioning

Ugh at the thought of a raincoat! Used to have to wear them as a child and NOT a pleasant experience on a hot, humid day.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    I rarely use an umbrella, learn to embrace the wet. In summer, which is when it rains the most you'll be soaked within minutes of stepping out the door from the heat and humidity anyway. Forget about wearing any kind of rain barrier unless you love sweating. I leave clothes at work and have a towel there.
    Whilst I agree this is a great way to avoid wet clothes, not sure the OP is willing to embrace public nudity.
    Flapster, shri, imparanoic and 2 others like this.

I had the same problem until I spent a small fortune on a VERY expensive umbrella and ever since, I have not lost it!

HK_Katherine and Elegiaque like this.

there are 7-11s every where and i hate carrying umbrellas, every time there is a big down pour i just go in an buy the cheapest one available or just run like hell to get a bit soaked, doesnt bother me. I never buy expensive umbrellas.

SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    there are 7-11s every where and i hate carrying umbrellas, every time there is a big down pour i just go in an buy the cheapest one available or just run like hell to get a bit soaked, doesnt bother me. I never buy expensive umbrellas.
    I thought you could rent umbrellas at 7-11 or PnS.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    wear a helmet to avoid being stabbed in the eyes with other umbrellas
    Apart from a helmet, add a pair of goggles (for eye protection). Whatever is thrown at you, please remember: this is Hong Kong, and China. You get what you will get in this part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    I rarely use an umbrella, learn to embrace the wet. In summer, which is when it rains the most you'll be soaked within minutes of stepping out the door from the heat and humidity anyway. Forget about wearing any kind of rain barrier unless you love sweating. I leave clothes at work and have a towel there.
    I hate umbrellas and never carry one...

I'm sure my Mum or Grandma told me when I was very young to keep a change of clothes and a towel at work... advice I've always taken and occasionally been very thankful for.

I also keep a toothbrush and toothpaste at work.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Just get wet. It's a warm climate after all. And even if you try to protect yourself, you generally get wet anyway and never have what you need when you need it...
    Mostly this is my approach given its impossible to stay dry walking down a jetty in torrential rain. It requires a certain clothing strategy though too!
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Whilst I agree this is a great way to avoid wet clothes, not sure the OP is willing to embrace public nudity.
    Where is that picture of the lady on the MTR without a shirt and soaked so badly you can see her underwear? It defines "shit day"...

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Mostly this is my approach given its impossible to stay dry walking down a jetty in torrential rain. It requires a certain clothing strategy though too!
    Agree. But if you're not in the umbrella club, my gosh have you got to watch out for your eyes!