Like Tree32Likes

Making the move - Nursing at Matilda or other hospital salary?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Making the move - Nursing at Matilda or other hospital salary?

Hi - i will be potentially making the move to HK earning $100k per month with an end of year bonus and looking at accom at approx $30k per month - my partner is a senior anaesthetic nurse in Australia (ie 7yr nurse) - can anybody share what an expected salary at one of the major hospitals would be? trying to budget for a higher accomodation spend but realistically cant do this without knowing how much a senior theatre nurse would earn at a top hospital? Really appreciate all the tips also for finding a role there in nursing. Also do part time (3-4 day) roles ever get offered to expats as this would be a great option also.

Last edited by sydsam; 12-05-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added more info
    MikeyDuffy80 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sydsam
    Hi - i will be potentially making the move to HK earning $100k per month with an end of year bonus and looking at accom at approx $30k per month - my partner is a senior anaesthetic nurse in Australia (ie 7yr nurse) - can anybody share what an expected salary at one of the major hospitals would be? trying to budget for a higher accomodation spend but realistically cant do this without knowing how much a senior theatre nurse would earn at a top hospital? Really appreciate all the tips also for finding a role there in nursing. Also do part time (3-4 day) roles ever get offered to expats as this would be a great option also.
    No idea on salary, but does your partner speak Cantonese?

As a very rough estimate, between $35-50K / month for an experienced nurse (perhaps more at the best private hospitals). But as Hullexile points out, language might be an issue.

Review this please and make sure the qualifications are approved / transferable, to be able to practice in HK.

Other than Matilda - look at Gleneagles. New top end-ish facility and might still be in hiring mode.

The Nursing Council of Hong Kong - Practising Certificate

Having had the misfortune to have spent some time in both The Adventist and The Matilda I recall seeing just one Caucasian nurse at TA, and she spoke fluent Cantonese, and none at TM either nursing or operating room staff.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

All the nurses we saw at Sanatorium were local. Don't think I've ever seen a Western nurse in HK.

Probably best bet would be in a small private Doctors surgery in Central with largely expat clientele.

Dankleness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy
    Having had the misfortune to have spent some time in both The Adventist and The Matilda I recall seeing just one Caucasian nurse at TA, and she spoke fluent Cantonese, and none at TM either nursing or operating room staff.
    Do we know they are Caucasian? Might be Australian born Chinese.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Matilda does aggressively recruit from overseas for Midwives without a Mando/Canto requirement.

However, nursing, even at theatre level, still seems to need Canto at least according to current job opportunities. Contact them to ask, but if they say no, then there aren't any easier options in HK.

https://www.matilda.org/en/join-our-...erating-thatre
    https://www.matilda.org/en/join-our-...erating-thatre

Having said that, the Midwife page also says Canto as well, although they do recruit outside HK.

However, you do need to be registered by the local Nursing council. Contact Matilda and ask if they would be interested in you. They probably wouldn't be to sponsor a visa, but if you are a dependent then you might get lucky.....

https://www.matilda.org/en/join-our-...-from-overseas

The practice I used to go to in Central (OT&P) has a caucasian nurse. I can't imagine they are very common here though. Language ability will probably have a big influence on if she can get something.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast