Like Tree5Likes

share house/social residence in hong kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

share house/social residence in hong kong?

Hi, i lived in japan last year and used oakhouse - i stayed at a place where i had my own room but shared the kitchen and showers. I'm struggling to find similar stuff for hong kong. I want a place with a flexible contract so you can stay for as little or as long as you like.

I am looking to stay at least half a year. Any website recommendations would be appreciated.

Or any alternatives please. When i stayed in japan i was by myself so this was the best option but i'll be going to Hong kong with my sister.

Thank you!

Shared flat yes.

Shared house?

Have you studied Hong Kong. Houses are rare and not exactly cheap.

Look at the classifieds here. Also if you check what area you would like there will be some facebook groups for that community and you can post/request there about a flat-sharing option. Are you looking to share a room with your sister or have separate rooms in the same apartment?

Something like this might also be an option...

https://www.mojonomad.com/

MABinPengChau and Kookie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by emilycharlotte:
    I am looking to stay at least half a year. Any website recommendations would be appreciated
    This is what you're looking for: https://www.weavecoliving.com/
    Kookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emilycharlotte:
    Hi, i lived in japan last year and used oakhouse - i stayed at a place where i had my own room but shared the kitchen and showers. I'm struggling to find similar stuff for hong kong. I want a place with a flexible contract so you can stay for as little or as long as you like.

I am looking to stay at least half a year. Any website recommendations would be appreciated.

Or any alternatives please. When i stayed in japan i was by myself so this was the best option but i'll be going to Hong kong with my sister.

Thank you!
    have you tried air bnb

Hi, I lived in Japan too and I know what you are talking about ("gaijin house"). There isn't that kind of thing here, sadly. Do check the budget hotels (tiny rooms, just a tea kettle but your own bathroom) because they will often give you a monthly rate. I did that for "Mini Hotel" (Central and Causeway Bay) but I was only staying for about 6 weeks at a time. Still much pricier than a gaijin house but if you can find a room big enough for two people, could be doable.

Your other best bet are the lower-budget serviced apartments- however, the lowest rates tend to be listed on Chinese websites. These are also small but may be big enough for two people if you buy an air mattress or other fold-away bed option (head to Ikea when you get here). These usually have some tiny cooking facility and small fridge and, if you are lucky, a washing machine. If you are not lucky, wash and fold services are reasonable or you might be able to find a laundromat.

emilycharlotte likes this.

Culturally, Japanese tent to be very clean, focused on hygiene of public places, and considerate. IMO if these places in HK entail shared restrooms, you should do further due diligence, on who else will live there to make sure the restrooms are clean. Nothing worse than a dirty restroom. Sharing it with a stranger is yucky enough.

I think there are a few co-living properties but they are a recent "invention" as far as Hong Kong is concerned. Not sure what their minimum lease terms are. Should be relatively easy to find them through a Google search.

Another option you can consider is a subdivided units , where 1 flat/ apartment/ unit is divided into multiple individual suites which normally have their own bathroom and sometimes a kitchenette.

Some of them do allow for shorter stay than the standard 1+1 lease (but it might take a bit of digging around to find those that do).

Some are furnished, some are not. (If you're only staying a short time, obviously you'd want somewhere that's furnished.)

Some of them are even run as serviced apartments (of cos charging a little bit more for the cleaning service and for providing cleaning service and things like cooking utensils and dining ware - as well as being fully furnished) and that would normally give you the best flexibility (& is probably the best option if you want to have it arranged before you turn up). Just google serviced apartment in Hong Kong and you should find lots of websites.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast