Like Tree23Likes

Coffee Machines and Pods

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I have Nespresso, it's my backup for espresso in the morning, I'm planning to try one of those re-usable aluminium pod thingies where the only disposable is the aluminium film.

When I have fresh beans at home, I grind and use my Nanopresso which does a surprisingly good job. Prep and clean up is obviously a fair bit more than the Nespresso, but it's not that bad.

I haven't tried the Aeropress ...

I'm not a fan of the French Press / Plunger type coffee, nor the pour over, moka pot .. I'm basically an espresso drinker 99% of the time - so that limits my options.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    I have Nespresso, it's my backup for espresso in the morning, I'm planning to try one of those re-usable aluminium pod thingies where the only disposable is the aluminium film.

When I have fresh beans at home, I grind and use my Nanopresso which does a surprisingly good job. Prep and clean up is obviously a fair bit more than the Nespresso, but it's not that bad.

I haven't tried the Aeropress ...

I'm not a fan of the French Press / Plunger type coffee, nor the pour over, moka pot .. I'm basically an espresso drinker 99% of the time - so that limits my options.
    Nanopresso looks interesting, how much did you get it for?

Have you seen any reviews about the reusable aluminium pods for the Nespresso? One thing I like about the Nespresso is that it gets the water temp and pressure right, but the coffee itself is just alright.

Well, something else I never understood about these pre-packaged, single-use coffee things, is how the heck are you supposed to enjoy the fresh coffee you get in Vietnam and Thailand when you go on holiday? A little joy you can experience in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    Anyone try the aeropress for expresso coffee ?

http://www.aeropress.com/

I tried once at someone place and the Expresso was so much nicer than any pod and so easy to make
    I tried it, when staying with a friend who had one. It's better than a regular French press, but still not the same as a real expreso. You also need to buy the replacement filters.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Nanopresso looks interesting, how much did you get it for?

Have you seen any reviews about the reusable aluminium pods for the Nespresso? One thing I like about the Nespresso is that it gets the water temp and pressure right, but the coffee itself is just alright.
    Honestly speaking, the nanopresso can get a bit expensive.
    I paid around $500 for the base, which is fine - BUT it only does a single espresso (7g coffee, which is already more than the 4 in Nespresso caps), I added on the "Barista Kit" which essentially allows you to make double espressos, but this add-on is a bit pricey, I paid $29.90 USD for this one)

I'm quite happy with it, I've gone through around 600g of beans so far and once you get the grind/tamp right you can pull a decent shot.
    The portafilter is pressurised, but can be easily (and reversibly) modded to un-pressurised.

FYI - you can get the previous model, minipresso, second hand for bargain prices - I have no experience with this one, but I opted for nano simply because they claim they've increased the pressure on this one.

Re-usable nespresso - I've watched a bunch of youtube reviews and feel I've learnt a couple of things
    * don't get the plastic ones, some of them melt - not good
    * the FULLY re-usable ones are great in principle, but I haven't seen one yet that is immune to the head coming off and splatting coffee all around the inside of the machine. Also, some of these have issues with certain machines whereby they damage the piercing mechanism - certainly not something you want
    * the mostly re-usable ones seem to be the way to go, these ones use a completely re-usable bottom with a disposable aluminium film on the top

My next step is to order a mostly re-usable kit from taobao and see how that goes....
    pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    I tried it, when staying with a friend who had one. It's better than a regular French press, but still not the same as a real expreso. You also need to buy the replacement filters.
    You can buy a metal filter which doesn't need to be replaced.

I paid around $500 for the base, which is fine - BUT it only does a single espresso (7g coffee, which is already more than the 4 in Nespresso caps), I added on the "Barista Kit" which essentially allows you to make double espressos, but this add-on is a bit pricey, I paid $29.90 USD for this one)

I'm quite happy with it, I've gone through around 600g of beans so far and once you get the grind/tamp right you can pull a decent shot.
    The portafilter is pressurised, but can be easily (and reversibly) modded to un-pressurised.
    Did you buy the Nanopresso online or in a shop in HK?

FYI - you can get the previous model, minipresso, second hand for bargain prices - I have no experience with this one, but I opted for nano simply because they claim they've increased the pressure on this one.

Re-usable nespresso - I've watched a bunch of youtube reviews and feel I've learnt a couple of things
    * don't get the plastic ones, some of them melt - not good
    * the FULLY re-usable ones are great in principle, but I haven't seen one yet that is immune to the head coming off and splatting coffee all around the inside of the machine. Also, some of these have issues with certain machines whereby they damage the piercing mechanism - certainly not something you want
    * the mostly re-usable ones seem to be the way to go, these ones use a completely re-usable bottom with a disposable aluminium film on the top

My next step is to order a mostly re-usable kit from taobao and see how that goes....
    If you are considering ordering the re-usable kit, do let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Did you buy the Nanopresso online or in a shop in HK?
    I did both ...

I bought the main unit in Wan Chai/Causeway Bay A A Zone Digital, seems I paid $610, not $500 as I said earlier.
    I bought the Barista Kit online direct from wacaco (couldn't find a local distributor with stock), as I said earlier, I paid $29.90 USD ("free shipping")

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=276810
    https://www.wacaco.com/pages/nanopresso
    orel100x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    If you are considering ordering the re-usable kit, do let me know.
    I am definitely considering, why? You want me to order one for you or you have a suggestion?
    My strategy at the moment is going to be use taobao and select the one with the most favourable reviews..

Looks like this is the one... https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=537656186520
    flameproof likes this.