Like Tree174Likes

Discovery Bay now a nightmare option, despite lower rents

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Discovery Bay now a nightmare option, despite lower rents

Discovery Bay is now a terrible option for expats.
    The club house is dirty, and empty. Most people without golf carts have stopped subscription.
    The management has driven everyone to the pools in Tung Chung where service, cost and cleanliness are in a different league. But then they hit you on transport...
    Having checked out the overcrowded buses in the morning, and was stranded at taxi rank for an hour waiting for a hire car after midnight, the hire cars can not be relied upon according to DBers, things are frustrating if you need to get home. The ferry costs 460hkd EACH WAY. So even though the rents have gone down, from the insane asking prices 5 years ago, a 1,000plus sqft 3 bed for 25-30k hkd per month may seem doable, as salaries haven't really moved, but you are adding on a lot of extra hidden time and cost in your commute and for your children.
    Weekends also are not what there were in Discovery Bay. I encountered special ferries loaded with local Chinese to come and fill up the beach and plaza. The buses were bringing these day trippers to look in windows of houses in Siena. The toilets on at the plaza were stomach churning. This is not going to improve, it is no longer a place for expats. We are looking at for reasonable value and for child friendly environment. Clear Water Bay, Lamma seem off Island possibilities. I do mourn what DB was and am resigned not to live there in these conditions.
    mrdollars likes this.

Would be interesting to hear what DB residents have to say. If this was on FB I would say it was just to drum up engagement figures

Not the best worded post but I have hard from friends living in DB that weekends are rammed with Chinese tourists and becoming unbearable. The rest I have no knowledge of.

Mrs. Jones and rs4 like this.

What's of interest to tourists in DB? Sometimes I need something and come over from Peng Chau (like a small appliance from the Wing On in DB) and usually just stay an hour or two to do shopping and then head back. It seems pretty residential to me, not even all that much shopping (although obviously a lot more than Peng Chau...). I guess there's a hotel there now, maybe that brings in more tourists...

It's not just DB. Gold Coast is the same. They really DO bus in all sorts of people at weekends to fill up the plaza (now called the piazza [sigh]). The Yacht Club management has become unbearable - it's all about making money. For years, the club was an oasis of peace and quiet. It's one of the things we loved about the place. Then they decided they needed to attract members with children and built this huge playroom. now you cannot even walk through the corridors without (literally) tripping over children or their belongings left strewn all about the place. It's turned from an oasis into a kindergarten.

There seems to be no concept AT ALL that some people might pay more for a peaceful, quiet environment. No - lets fill every nook and cranny of HK with people, whether the people there first like it or not.

I have loved HK for years, but I'm now looking at leaving in the (not too distant) future. The quality of life here is spiralling downhill.

Skyhook, Plutark, Rob2020 and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    What's of interest to tourists in DB? Sometimes I need something and come over from Peng Chau (like a small appliance from the Wing On in DB) and usually just stay an hour or two to do shopping and then head back. It seems pretty residential to me, not even all that much shopping (although obviously a lot more than Peng Chau...). I guess there's a hotel there now, maybe that brings in more tourists...
    They come to "see the place". It seems to be a peculiarly chinese concept. They don't really look at a place at all - just tick the box to have been there. See it all over Europe too with tourists. I think some locals just want to tick the box and say they've "been to DB".
    Mrs. Jones and MerMer like this.

Original Post Deleted
    We call this a drive by rant. First time poster, copy / paste - hit and run.

For the record, residents pay $33.50 on the DB Resident's card.

Welcome to Discovery Bay

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    For the record, residents pay $33.50 on the DB Resident's card.

But still, 46 for the rest of us...when I lived on Peng Chau back in 2011, a few times I went to DB from Central, then took the kai to ferry to Peng Chau (I forget why, maybe wanted to go to a restaurant or something). Wouldn't do that now- kai to ferry between Peng Chau and DB is only 6.5 so if I need to go to DB (as in want to take the bus to Tung Chung) I only go by kai to.

Original Post Deleted
    That indeed is the question!

I thought residents of DB were flushed out by rich mainlanders. To the mainlanders, you might be the nuisance.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast