Single Australian Female looking to move to HK in 2009

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What we can give you is a list of places that fit each "category" of lifestyle (says he taking one step backwards) and you can head for those on arrival for a personal look.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    And now for where to live (before MovingIn07 can rebuff) ... depends on whether you prefer to live in the thick of high rise tower residential estates or the "peace and tranquility" of "country side" living.
    Ha ha - while you were thinking I might rebut your food post you were posting almost identical to me on accomodation - not so different after all!

Re food, HK chinese food is more chinese, like discobay says. So it depends if you like it that way (bland, imho).

Non-chinese food is universally either awful or jolly expensive. While you can (just about) find a decent pasta here, you have to hunt for it. Indian food also, some good, much terrible. Same goes for most other cuisines.

Ha ha ha we so alike lah!

If you wanna hang out with expats, pretty much living on HK island like Pok Fu Lam(lots of whites), The Peak and somewhere around Central. Sai Kung is also a decent choice if you like to live in a suburb as there aren't many here.

By the way, I think we got various choices of food here, so I don't believe it isn't a problem especially if you like upscale cuisine

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly:
    Hey, thanks guys for the replies on the male situation... but.... can we get past that (and the food) and help me out on the crux of my post???? haha...

In particular... where to live....????
    There are plenty of places to live - everyone has different taste and expectations. That is an easy question to answer. But also depends on where you would be working. How would you move to Hong Kong? Internal transfer with your current company? There are many places that you would like at $15k. A friend just moved into a nice 2br place in Happy Valley at less than that.

But, if you have never been to Hong Kong, you are kind of jumping at shadows, as there is no place in the world like Hong Kong. It is kind of difficult to explain what Hong Kong "feels" like - you just have to experience it for yourself. Each area has a different feel also, eg Wan Chai is differnt to Happy Valley. I have lived in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and been to several major cities in the world and Hong Kong is just different.

If you are serious about wanting to move to Hong Kong, take a week off work and come for a holiday - scout around and see if it is what you have in your mind. Go to a couple of cities that you are thinking about.

Good Luck.

I second that - Crocodile is right on there.

Thank you to the two of you....

My work is likely to be relocating me (unsure at this stage if they will pay any costs so lets assume NO for the purposes of this ie. worse case scenario) I work in the heart of they city here in Sydney, and i know that HK will be 1,000 times busier but that I don't mind. As for living in the thickness of the crowds... hmmm, not really. I have checked out a few places, albeit very briefly and as much as you can do on the internet. I'm not a girl who goes out partying every night, infact quite the opposite, nor am I one for peace and tranquility so to speak - something in the middle i guess. Moving over there alone means that I would like to be amongst a happy group of people that enjoy nights out every now and then and close to work - whereever that will be....

Where will you work? Your company should be able to let you know this and what time of year will you arrive? Will they put you up in a hotel or other temporary accommodation on arrival?

WOW, you guys/gals (don't know the genders) are awesome.. thank you so much.

I know I need to get over there for a week to sus it all out, but its so good to get a feel for the place through knowledge and experience of others.

Again - thanks. Loved the food banter, very funny for someone who should be asleep at midnight!!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Ha ha - while you were thinking I might rebut your food post you were posting almost identical to me on accomodation - not so different after all!

Re food, HK chinese food is more chinese, like discobay says. So it depends if you like it that way (bland, imho).

Non-chinese food is universally either awful or jolly expensive. While you can (just about) find a decent pasta here, you have to hunt for it. Indian food also, some good, much terrible. Same goes for most other cuisines.
    and don't forget the coffee...