Single Australian Female looking to move to HK in 2009

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    and don't forget the coffee...
    Don't start that topic again!

Yep - I think you need to find some of the quieter spots on the Island - so still close to everything but not quite in the thick of the crowds. I'll let others suggest where that might be - not my area of expertise! You might try discovery bay (yes, guys, I KNOW it's a stretch, but worth a mention) - that is close-ish to central (20 min ferry), greener and more spacious and cheaper than the island, BUT (and it's a big BUT) very family orientated (think, "stepford wives"). But there is a big expat community over there, so it does fit with wanting to have friends but not necessarily be in the crowded areas.

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    and don't forget the coffee...
    Luckily for me I don't drink coffee and my hubby is happy with instant... So I guess it depends if the OP cares about her coffee...

So Gilly, tell us a little more about where you hang out in Sydney and what your likes and dislikes are.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Luckily for me I don't drink coffee and my hubby is happy with instant... So I guess it depends if the OP cares about her coffee...
    Hey, I am new to this tonight... OP? Original Poster?

So if the OP is me... yep, i do care about my coffee, dare i say it.. my skinly latte each morning gets me through my day!! Instant???

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly:
    yep, i do care about my coffee, dare i say it.. my skinly latte each morning gets me through my day!! Instant???
    o.k, Is Starbucks beneath you? Yes or No?

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    So Gilly, tell us a little more about where you hang out in Sydney and what your likes and dislikes are.
    I live in the Eastern Suburbs - Coogee. I hope I don't offend anyone here, but I am not the typical eastern-ite. OK OK, I am originally from NZ and have lived here for 18 years now (no jokes please). I am a fairly free spirited person, independent, calm, happy go lucky, friendly, hard working, intelligent (and the list goes on ... haha) so my good friends are generally all those things as well.... they are some of my likes. I love the outdoors, camping, fishing, anything to do with the water, sports ie. tennis, netball, touch footy.

Dislikes? Those opposite to my likes above would sum it up - and liars.

So..... what do you think about that Discobay!

Forgot to tell you hangouts: I work in the city, so a few bars every so often - about once a month after work. I tend to frequent the bars around Coogee, local restaurants.... going out every night isn't what I do, I used to before the bad hangovers got me!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    o.k, Is Starbucks beneath you? Yes or No?

Yes sorry.... I don't believe Americans make good coffees, same same with Gloria Jeans...

If a coffee is going to be made for you, it should be Italian....

That would be like Australia copying the States on making eggnog or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    You are kidding about the food bit right?
    At the risk of going way off topic:

Nah, I was actually being serious there

I've found that Chinese food is better in both Sydney and Vancouver, than it is in HK. I've also heard other people (also Chinese, but naturalised to Sydney/Vancouver) say the same thing. The usual reason cited is 'quality of ingredients', also that the more recent influxes of immigrants (pre-97) took quite a high standard of food expectations with them. On the other hand, I've found that locals really have quite low expectations on food. 'Good' all too often equates to 'economical'.

I have been away from Sydney for quite a while, but reaching back into my dim memory, most of the restaurants that I went to in the Sydney Chinatown were better than the average Chinese restaurant in HK. I thought that East Ocean was pretty good. Super Bowl (late night noodles, Sydney) was far better than most noodle places I've been to in HK.

In Vancouver, again, the closest set of Chinese restaurants to my home (1 cha chan teng, 1 noodle place and an egg tart bakery) were all better than 9 out of 10 places that I've been to here. Specially the egg tarts- Canadian and Australia egg tarts have flakey, delicate pastry. HK egg tarts (whether the solid or flakey pastried varieties) tend to be loaded with far too much sugar (I miss good egg tarts, and I work 50 metres from the famous bakery on Lyndhurst Terrace).

I think that it's obviously *possible* to get great Chinese food here. But you really have to make an effort to find it- the *average* Chinese restaurant really isn't all that good compared to what you can get in Sydney or Vancouver.
    Last edited by jgl; 19-11-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast