Single female moving to HK for work

Single female moving to HK for work

Hi,

Can somebody please help me?

I have a job offer from my company to move to HK to work. However, there is no adjustment yet to the salary, will be converted from the salary in Sydney. Do you think with $ 20 k per month HKD I can survive in HK plus saving? How much is the accomodation in HK for one bedroom apartment and the cost living per month?

Your help is much appreciated.

You won't be living a life of luxury but you'll be fine. Rents are going down and you can easily find a place to stay for under 10K/month in places like Sheung Wan, Kennedy Town and Sai Yin Pun which are near Central. You could also share a decent place for around 5-6K per month which is a nice way of getting a taste of HK and deciding where it will be most convenient to live depending on your lifestyle. If you're and outdoorsy home body, you might be happier on an island or in the NT which is much cheaper...if you're a party animal then you'll want to be on HK island.

You should be able to save around 5K/month for trips and luxuries if your flat isn't too expensive.

thanks gilleshk.

i m not really a party person, but i prefer somewhere's convinient from transport and food. if i work in central, but i stay in kowloon area, do u think i can find the accomodation for around 5 or 6 k per month for 1 bedroom apartment? and how much does the food normally cost and the transport from kowloon to central by mtr?

thanks again.

Hi Angel,

Not sure about the rental prices, however I would like to bring one important bit of info to your attention. As a fellow aussie, we've seen the AUS dollar slowly dying in the last few weeks. The exchange rate is now under 5HKD! (previously up near 7 in good times)

Thankfully, hubby and I are paid in US dollars, pegged at a good exchange rate. You may wish to look into alternative pay options if your employer is paying in Aussie dollars. (e.g Have your contract drawn up into HKD dollars)
    All the best for the big move if you decide to take the leap. I'm happy to play tour guide for you if you need one!

Cheers,

Kim

Hi Angel,

would you consider living in HK Island as your working place in Central, you can look for district like Wan Chai and Causeway Bay, both of them are quite near Central (~10-15mins by underground) I guess you might be able to find one under 10K/month rental in Causeway Bay as the real estate price is going down a bit here, in CWB you can get whatever you want in a short distance, shopping places, food shop, supermarket, entertainment...you can find them all in Causeway Bay. I have a real estate agent contact who help my colleauge get a flat in HK at a good price, drop me a line if you are interested

hope this can help you.
    Cheers,
    Winnie