Like Tree12Likes

Shipping TV from USA to HK in 2018?!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    I am using a US TV and have zero issues with any PS4/XB1 games. Its not worth the hassle to bring one over and the only reason I have one is because someone left it behind for me.
    Nice... looks like this was just a myth from the Laser Disc days.
    JaredHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mfamos:
    Hi, I‘m looking to buy a new tv. We will only use it for online streaming (Netflix, RokuTV, ... or attached to a Mac) and video gaming (PS4 Slim).
    I came across the TCL 55S405. Unfortunately it’s not available anywhere near HK but since it sells at around 350 US$ it‘s still a pretty good deal even when calculating an extra 100 US$ for shipping (= total around 3500-4000 HK$).
    The only comparable TCL Model I found here is the TCL L55P6US that sells around 6000 HK$.
    Do you think it‘s worth getting the US tv and having it shipped back? I know that I‘d need a voltage converter since the US tv runs at 110V and 50Hz - that should be fine. The other difference is PAL / NTSC but do I even need to consider this if I‘m not trying to catch actual TV signals?

I have no experience with this and most posts I found on this subject were 5+ years old and people were mainly concerned about their cable signal back then... so my instinct tells me it should be fine as everything runs throug HDMI or RokuTV. But what do you think?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
    PAL/NTSC shouldn't be a problem. DTV signal is, but not a big issue.
    I think the biggest problems are:
    -Shipping damage
    -Netflix, RokuTV restrictions - When you're in HK, there are restrictions on content

If the apps are the only reason you're looking at this model, get a TV in HK and a Chromecast or a IPTV box

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Nice... looks like this was just a myth from the Laser Disc days.
    Laser Discs . . . what a white elephant medium.
    shri and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Laser Discs . . . what a white elephant medium.
    I still have the star wars dts discs

Don't have a player...
    huja and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I still have the star wars dts discs

Don't have a player...
    I won't judge. I was searching the classified ads for used Palm Pilots as late as 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    If your TV is 110V only it would be enough for me NOT to bring it. Whatever you save, the converter will eat up the difference with its cost and high power consumption.
    I'm not sure about that. TVs only require modest converters, which would suck about 10W at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    PS/4 and almost anything else that I can think of, including digital tv set boxes, output via HDMI - right?
    wireless audio as well (regular bluetooth) via controller 3.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I'm not sure about that. TVs only require modest converters, which would suck about 10W at idle.
    But you need one that can handle at least 100W. Other risk is, that somebody dumb plugs the TV into 220V.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    But you need one that can handle at least 100W. Other risk is, that somebody dumb plugs the TV into 220V.
    Well, yes.

The first point is why you factor the couple hundred dollars for a transformer into the purchase price.

The second point is certainly a risk if you have random people frequently unplugging and replugging your TV. Personally, this is an event that happens at my place once every 5+ years.

This does make me curious about how common dual voltage TVs are in the US. The one and only time I bothered checking, the TV did happen to be dual voltage.

Personally, I'd be a bit more concerned with lack of warranty and the hassle of arranging shipping.
    Last edited by jgl; 07-09-2018 at 01:57 PM.
    imparanoic likes this.

i don't think there are much advantages with a US TV in HK, but a Modern European TV with RGB scart socket has a certain niche following in Hk for retro gamers