Like Tree12Likes

Shipping TV from USA to HK in 2018?!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mfamos

Shipping TV from USA to HK in 2018?!

Hi, I‘m looking to buy a new tv. We will only use it for online streaming (Netflix, RokuTV, ... or attached to a Mac) and video gaming (PS4 Slim).
    I came across the TCL 55S405. Unfortunately it’s not available anywhere near HK but since it sells at around 350 US$ it‘s still a pretty good deal even when calculating an extra 100 US$ for shipping (= total around 3500-4000 HK$).
    The only comparable TCL Model I found here is the TCL L55P6US that sells around 6000 HK$.
    Do you think it‘s worth getting the US tv and having it shipped back? I know that I‘d need a voltage converter since the US tv runs at 110V and 50Hz - that should be fine. The other difference is PAL / NTSC but do I even need to consider this if I‘m not trying to catch actual TV signals?

I have no experience with this and most posts I found on this subject were 5+ years old and people were mainly concerned about their cable signal back then... so my instinct tells me it should be fine as everything runs throug HDMI or RokuTV. But what do you think?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

It's hard to justify all the trouble and limited functionality to save a few bucks. It really isn't. Also consider the TV you purchase in HKG has a used-market value. You can sell it when you leave HKG. The American-purchased TV has none. And after your expat stint - let's say three years - are you going to spend the money and effort to ship it back to the US? No, because it makes no sense financially and because there will be better TV's in three years time.

mfamos

Okay I get that... but what kind of ‚limited functionality‘ are we talking about? That‘s my main concern..

I could understand if you were shipping a state of art TV, but a second tier Chinese brand... why?!?

You can get a local version with 4K / Android for about US$ 600-ish ("gray market - no warranty which would match what you're shipping over).

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=290218

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 11.45.30 AM.png
Views: 1549
Size:  151.4 KB

You will be limited if you want to interface your TV with domestic electronics - games for example. This will make it difficult for you if you decide you want to buy a PS4 for example.

I would just buy a local set second hand.

Yes, if you intend to use your computer as the source, HDMI will absolutely have no issues.

PS/4 and almost anything else that I can think of, including digital tv set boxes, output via HDMI - right?

imparanoic likes this.

Think it’s more the games compatibility that comes into play here. Whilst it may work, there’s always the chance that a game won’t display properly due to format issues

If your TV is 110V only it would be enough for me NOT to bring it. Whatever you save, the converter will eat up the difference with its cost and high power consumption.

MABinPengChau and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Think it’s more the games compatibility that comes into play here. Whilst it may work, there’s always the chance that a game won’t display properly due to format issues
    I am using a US TV and have zero issues with any PS4/XB1 games. Its not worth the hassle to bring one over and the only reason I have one is because someone left it behind for me.
    DimSumBond and spode like this.

mfamos

okay thank you. well I already called the shop that claims to have a parallell import L55P6US s few days ago and they don‘t have it... and most comments/reviews had similar experiences with prices for tv’s they can’t deliver.

But you are right, and after all the reselling value is the most convincing point for me. Therefore I’ll probably get a HK L55P6US for around 6000 HK$ with 3+3 years warranty.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast